Rest, Painkillers and Ice Packs

Frustratingly, Nordic walking and my daily 10,000 steps are on hold for the foreseeable future and rest, painkillers and ice packs are the order of the day. I twisted my knee when I went to London on Jan 24th and I've been hobbling about since then, finding it almost impossible to bear weight. My doctor thinks that the most likely diagnosis is a torn cartilage. I go back to see him in a couple of week, by which time he should have the results of the x-ray and will decide on the way forward. The x-ray won't confirm the tear but will provide information on the general state of my knee - there's a real possibility that it will also confirm the start of arthritis, which is expected from symptoms I've had for a while. 

Luckily it's now half term so I have a whole week to prop my leg up and rest. Yesterday and today I've only moved to get food and drink or to use the bathroom. It's made some difference already as my knee now only hurts when I walk, but the pain goes when I sit still. Hopefully, a few days of this will see a change. The last thing I want is a surgical solution.

I've just received a text from a friend to say that the logistics for Wednesday and Thursday are sorted. We have theatre tickets for both days and I offered my tickets for one of her friends as I knew I wouldn't be able to drive to the city, park and walk to the theatre. She doesn't drive but has arranged for her son-in-law to drive us and drop us right outside the main entrance, then pick us up from the same place. She's also borrowed a wheelchair (!) so I will only have to walk along the row to get to my seat each time. That means less walking than I'd be doing at home so I'm going along with the plan. I'll still have from Friday till the following Tuesday to rest properly and then I'll have to make a decision on whether I need time off from teaching.

The problems with intermittent internet access are ongoing and it seems that some of the neighbours are having problems as well. The BT Openreach van has been in evidence over the past week but so far there's been no improvement. On top of that, Blogger seems to have a bug (it seems that lots of people are having this problem according to Google) and most days I can't view my blog, just an 'oops' screen. It also happens when I try to view other people's blogs as well, so I will have a lot of catching up to do at some stage.

Comments

  1. Well, I am glad to hear that the knee is responding to rest. I do hope a few more days of the same will show a marked improvement. And how kind of your friend to arrange things so that you don't have to miss your theatre trips! Hope you enjoy the shows!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I haven't forgotten that I need to respond to your email - hope to get it done later this week.

      Delete
    2. No problem; I wasn't necessarily expecting to hear until such time as you were mobile again/able to think ahead. Keep puttin' them feet up!

      Delete
  2. Oh my Eileen that sounds nasty. What a very kind friend to organize things so you don't miss out on the theatre. Torn cartilage can take quite a time to heal, so I'm sending you lots of positive healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very sorry to read of your knee trouble - such a nuisance as well as being so painful. I'm glad your lovely friend sorted things out for you and hope that the remaining time resting helps a lot. Best not to push it too much and risk more damage.
    Take cate
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your knee, Eileen. Will be in touch for a meet-up soon x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! How frustrating all round! A bad knee which I hope gets better soon. Unreliable Internet to keep you amused while resting and then problems with blogger. Fingers crossed I haven't experienced that YET. I hope things are soon on the up for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts