Five on Friday


For my Five on Friday this week, I'm sharing some of the changes I've made as I move slowly towards retirement.  I'm still waiting for most of my teaching commitments to be passed on to a new teacher but a couple of schools have already been passed to one of the local teachers and other schools have been rescheduled to free up some more time.

One | I've rearranged my teaching days so that I now have Wednesday and Thursdays completely free.  At the moment, I still have half days on Monday and Tuesday, and all day Friday but that will eventually decrease to Tuesday plus one other day, for two hours each day.  I won't decide which other day to teach until I've investigated what's on during the daytime that I may like to do.  This has been the first week of this arrangement so it's too early to feel the benefits but I have enjoyed my days off and I really, really love the fact that I now only have one early start!
 
Two | In my Tuesday afternoon school the children have free choice to play board games after they've finished their class music lesson with me.  They've always wanted me to stay and play a game with them but up until this week I've always had to rush off to get to another school.  However, now I don't have to rush off so was able to stay and play a couple of games with them and I had a great time, even though they completely slaughtered me at Connect Four! Apparently next time we're going to play chess!  
 
Three | On Wednesday I went with a friend to an Odeon Silver Screen event.  This is restricted to the over 55s and for the bargain price of £3, you get to see a recent film which in our case was  one that was first released back in June 2015.  The price also included coffee and biscuits, and the parking was free, so all in all it was a cheap morning's entertainment!  We saw Mr Holmes starring Ian McKellen, which I thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend a viewing if you haven't already seen it. The Silver Screen cinema trips have definitely made the list and I'll be looking out for more films in the future ... at that price it'd be rude not to!
 
Four | On Thursday I went for a morning walk and ending up buying some cheap vegetables from an honesty stall outside one of the house bordering the marina, then it was back home to cook it all up.  Not quite what I'd planned but I now have six portions of warming vegetable soup for the freezer, so I'm happy with that.  On my walk I checked the village notice board and also the boards outside the village hall and the club, and I  was pleasantly surprised to see there is plenty happening locally during the daytime; line dancing, WI, pilates, yoga, and also a walking group.  I've thought about joining the WI before but it never worked out because of teaching commitments, so I will try that again.  I've always fancied having a go at line dancing so that's also a possibility, but I'll stick to the therapeutic yoga classes I've seen in Bradford on Avon as I think they'll be more manageable for me.
 
Five | I've planned a series of photography mini projects.  This is really to get me out and about but also to test the waters and make the decision whether to continue with the photography degree or not.  I'm searching for a location fairly close to home for the first one project, which is going to be all about dramatic skies, but the location is everything, and so far I'm not having much luck finding what I have in mind. There is nothing within walking distance, so the next option is a short drive with easy roadside parking ... and that's as far as I've got. Fingers crossed on this one!

Thanks go out to Amy for organising this link up.

Comments

  1. There are so many things to try and places to visit. I hope you soon find the activities that are right for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you sorting out your retirement, its actually amazing how little time I have. Both my husband and I often wonder how we had time to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You have lots of good ideas! The vegetable soup portions are a nice thing to do for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're certainly getting all your ducks in a row for your upcoming retirement. How exciting to look around you and suddenly find all these new possibilities!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did hear Mr. Holmes was a good movie; glad you got to see it! Its kind of good you are easing into retirement and still are working a few days for a bit; helps you to continue to figure out how to spend your days once you are officially retired.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard Mr. Holmes was good and been wanting to watch, thanks for the recommendation :)

    Hope you get everything done in time for your retirement. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such amazing good ideas! And what a wonderful new season of life to transition into! Have a wonderful weekend! Aloha .

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you have had a fun, busy week. I saw Mr. Holmes and thoroughly enjoyed not only the story but the beautiful setting. I hope you had a fabulous weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh still so busy though. The cinema offer is a good one isn't it? My daughter is a student and she gets a similar deal. I would live to join the WI but it doesn't fit in with my other commitments at the moment, good luck with your project xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you are getting things worked out with your teaching and that all is going well, it sounds as though there are going to be lots of good things happening in your free time now and when you retire! Lots to look forward to. Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm moving toward retirement too and now only work two days a week it's great that you are making plans and sounds as f you have lots to look forward too. I did line dancing many years ago and went back to it quite recently and found to my horror that I just couldn't do it anymore, I couldn't remember the dance routines they just wouldn't stick in my head. I too would like to join the Wi, the silver screen event sounds like a very good bargain it's ages since I've been to the theatre. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I've enjoyed mine. Haven't seen Mr. Holmes yet, but it's on my Netflix list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you are slowly moving toward that retirement, and in good ways. Love your outings too. That movie sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Retiring isn't as easy as it looks! There is always something to do to prepare for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts