All About ... The Year in Review - 2018


What did you do in 2018 that you've never done before? I went on two HF holidays which was a new, and very enjoyable, experience for me. I also retired, although I can't count it as a 'never done before' as I had a half-hearted attempt at retirement a couple of years ago.

Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?  I haven't bothered with the traditional type of resolution for several years now. My approach is to set myself goals, which can be either things I want to achieve or place I want to visit. My biggest one was the improvements on the house and, although it's not quite finished, I'm counting it as a success. 

Did anyone close to you give birth? No.

Did anyone close to you die? No.  

What countries did you visit? I may have to change this heading for next year. I didn't venture out of the UK but did spend time in Derbyshire, Liverpool, Brecon, Portsmouth and London.

What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018? I seem to say this every year - I'm lucky enough to be able to write that I don't feel I lacked anything in 2018. I've done a lot of thinking about what I want life post retirement to be, and I'm working towards that.

What date from 2018 will remain etched in your memory and why? No, there isn't one that I can think of. It's been a good year, all family and friends are well, and there have been no major traumas to deal with.

What was your biggest achievement of the year? Well, I never thought I'd get to this stage, but can say that the biggest achievement was (almost) completing the decluttering. From the sheer amount when I moved into this house in 2013 when the two spare bedrooms were stacked floor to ceiling with unwanted stuff, I now have only the last few things to dispose of and it's done!

What was your biggest failure? I want to be positive so am not calling anything a failure. The one thing I didn't achieve that I wanted to was to travel abroad, but that'll happen when the time is right!

Did you suffer illness or injury? Again, another year of health issues, mainly to do with joint problems and pain when walking. However, on the positive side, control of my blood pressure has improved and the daily medication has been reduced.

What was the best thing you bought?  The new suite for the living room!  

Where did most of your money go? On the home improvements and new furniture.

What did you get really, really, really excited about? Actually 'living' in my home! With all the excess stuff out of the house it's possible to have friends round for a meal or a coffee. 

Compared to this time last year are you:
  • Happier or sadder? Happier
  • Thinner or fatter? Fatter!
  • Richer or poorer? Richer

What do you wish you’d done more of? I wish I'd kept up with the dieting and exercise but I allowed it to go on the back burner while all the work was being done on the house and am now paying the price!

What do you wish you’d done less of? Nothing that I can think of. 

How did you spend Christmas? I spent Christmas day morning playing carols in a hospital and retirement home, and then the afternoon and evening at home on my own. It was my choice to be on my own and I'm glad I stuck to doing what I wanted to do, rather than trying to please everyone else. 

Did you fall in love in 2018? No.

What was your favourite TV show? Did I have a favourite? I've definitely started watching more TV but can't think of one show that stands out from the rest. 

What was the best book you read? I have two! 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' by Gail Honeyman was my choice for the book group choice and we all voted it 10/10. 'Station Eleven' by Emily St.John Mandel was also a book group read and has stayed in my thoughts all year.

What was your greatest musical discovery of 2018? No, can't think of one! 

What did you want and get? I wanted to get the house finished. it's close enough to completion to count this as achieved.

What did you want and not get? A holiday abroad ... but maybe in 2019.

What was your favourite film this year?  Luckily I've been listing the films I've seen this year otherwise I'd struggle to remember. The outright winner will have to be 'The Greatest Showman', closely followed by 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri', and 'The BFG'.

What did you do on your birthday? A week of meals with different friends/family.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? It's been a good year and I feel I've taken back control of my life, so there's not 'one thing' that stands out as the thing that made this year more satisfying. 

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018? I'm still at the 'whatever fits and is comfortable' stage but I have started buying new clothes.

What kept you sane? The people I share my life with - family and friends, real and virtual. 

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I don't really fancy celebrities. I can't even think of one name to write down for this category!

What political issue stirred you the most? For the third year running, its Brexit!

Who did you miss? Ced. Always.  

Who was the best new person you met? There are two people. One isn't really a new person as I knew her as a blogging friend but we actually met in real life and was one of the high points of my year ... Lady Ella. I also met A for the first time in January 2018 and she has become one of my closest friends. 

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up!

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. Always look on the bright side of life!

Comments

  1. I am honoured, honoured, honoured! Thank you for saying that ... and I do hope that 2019 brings another opportunity to meet.
    Overall, it sounds as if 2018 is one which you can look back on with pleasure. Here's to more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we can arrange something for 2019. I'm hoping to spend a few days in London mid year so it should be possible.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post, it's a good idea to sum up the year and look back on things in this way. Overall it sounds as though you had a good year, let's hope that 2019 is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 2018 has been a good year, moving forward and looking to the future.

      Delete
  3. What a great post! I enjoyed reading your "year in review" post! It seems you've had a good year, overall, even with health issues and missing your late partner. I wish you all the best in 2019 and may it be another good year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I feel really positive about 2019 and have lots of things I want to try out!

      Delete
  4. What a great post! It certainly got me thinking about the year in review. Sounds like you had a pretty good year. It's never to late to travel abroad and there are so many beautiful places in the country to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My absolute dream would be a tour in China but health issues prevent that for now. I've got the brochures for next year and I'm considering Iceland, New York or Venice. However, any travel is dependent on finishing the home improvements and health.

      Delete
  5. Eileen what a wonderful year's review - and oh my what a wonderful year you have had. I raise my glass to cheer you on in 2019! Looking forward to another year of reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the new year ... my first proper year of retirement and I'm looking forward to seeing how my lifestyle changes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts