Taking Stock

THURSDAY 31ST AUGUST: TAKING STOCK

Taking stock of life as it is at present ... while waiting for a solution to control the daily migraines.

Feeling ... exhausted! I'm still getting daily migraines so normal life continues to be interrupted and I am spending a lot of my time in bed, either with a migraine or recovering from one. I see my doctor again tomorrow and hopefully he will have received some advice from the neurologist he sent my record to for advice on the best form of treatment. I saw the optician today for an eye health check, which confirmed that there has been no change to the growth in my left eye so that can be eliminated as a possible factor.

Making ... efforts to resume blogging. I have considered stopping blogging completely as current health issues mean that it's almost impossible to find that window when I feel well enough and Blogger is playing nicely! However, I've missed the regular contact with all of you so am hoping to at least be able to post weekly, if not daily, from now on.

Cooking ... not a lot is happening on this front but I do need to do some more batch cooking. That's even more important while I'm feeling like I do as at least I will have a variety of easy options to keep myself fed. That's my priority for next week ... get the freezers refilled with healthy home cooked meals.

Drinking ... mostly water, either hot or cold. Very occasionally I have a coffee but that's now a rare treat and I feel much better for eliminating it from my diet.

Learning ... to play the piano, and to swim. I've stopped the piano lessons for the time being but am continuing to play at home when I am able. I'm enjoying the current arrangement, being able to choose what I want to play and not being restricted by grade appropriate music. In some ways I feel the lessons have set me back as prior to learning with a teacher I was playing approx. grade 4 and grade 5 music but, because of the initial teacher's approach to exams I was put back on grade 1 music and on giving up lessons, had only progressed to grades 2 and grade 3. I do realise that I learned a lot of piano specific technique from the lessons so there is no doubt that my playing has improved, but for the foreseeable future, I'll go it alone.

As for the swimming ... it's not been something I've ever enjoyed. I gained my learner badge at primary school but was never confident in the water and it's not something I've ever sought to do as an adult. However, a new friend loves swimming and has persuaded me to try again in the hope that I can gain confidence in the water with his support. All being well, I'll have my first attempt next Tuesday ... wish me luck. 

Reading ... this month book group choice was 'Madly, Deeply, The Alan Rickman Diaries', which I was looking forward to reading but which has proved to be very disappointing. I just found it a bit boring. I'll move on to one of the books I treated myself to while I was at the optician earlier today, either I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes (which I read a few years ago but want to refresh my memory as the sequel will finally be published later this year), or A Terrible Kindness by Jo Browning Wroe. 

Wanting ... to replace some of the kitchen pans and utensils, and also considering a replacement oven.

Looking ... for holidays/short breaks for late 2023 and the first half of 2024. 

Playing ... just the piano. I've advertised all my other instruments for sale ... there's no point keeping them if my eye problems prevent me from playing.

Deciding ... or trying to decide whether to pay privately for cataract surgery on my right eye, i.e. the worst one. It's not bad enough to qualify for the free NHS operation but it is bad enough to affect my driving, so I'd like it done sooner rather than later. I have so many problems with my eyes so it would be wonderful to eliminate one of them sooner rather than later ... but it all depends on the cost.

Wishing ... for a mild winter, though I think I may be unlucky this time!

Enjoying ... life, despite the daily migraines. I'd rather not have them but there is still scope for some social activities and time with friends.

Wondering ... whether I will be able to re-do the kitchen cabinets next year. I'd like to replace the current doors and worktops but again, it all comes down to costs. 

Considering ... some new goals to help me get back into something resembling a normal life. Of course, a normal life assumes that the correct medication is found to control the migraines, but even with things as they are I need something to focus on and work towards. I have no real idea what I want to do so watch this space! 

Watching ... the Breaking Bad series, which was recommended by a friend. I'm up to series 2 and am enjoying it so far.

Knowing ... that my personal training is going well (when I am well enough to attend), and that I need to now focus on weight loss.

Thinking ... that, all things considered, life continues to be good.

Comments

  1. Lovely to see a blog post Eileen but sorry that you are still suffering with migraines. I hope your doctor can offer you a remedy or further investigations. Good news about your eye and learning the growth hasn't changed in size and not a cause of your migraines. Just blog when ever you feel like it but I hope you don't stop altogether. It was something I was going to do but like you I value the contact with online friends. Take care lovely lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see you blogging. I post maybe 3 times a month, you mention perhaps posting once a week and I think that is a good idea. Your post is excellent with lots of good thoughts and ideas and plans. I hope your migraines disappear and the right treatment is found soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear from you again, sorry you are still feeling unwell, hoping you can find the necessary help you require.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely to see an update from you, Eileen. I had been wondering how you were doing and hoping you were feeling better. A lovely post, too, taking stock of life and reflecting on things.
    I am very sorry that you are continuing to experience those migraines, but, glad that the growth in your eye has not changed. I hope your visit with the doctor tomorrow will go well and your doctor will have some solutions to try and stop the migraines from happening.
    Good luck with the swimming lessons! I tried to learn, a long time ago, but, I can't swim!
    I do hope that you will continue to post updates as and when you can. Take care of yourself. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to hear from you again, Eileen. I've missed you and your posts so very much. You've been on my mind very much this past week and I was going to pop you a message, just to let you know I was 'thinking of you' as we say.

    If/when I have cataract problems, I am 100% going the private route to get it sorted, even if it means drawing from my long term savings to do so. Good for you!

    I do hope they find solutions to these terrible migraines and quickly and that today's appointment goes well. Sending love.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to have an update on your blog. Must be difficult to still be getting migraines so frequently, hope your appointment with the doctor can shed some light on the problem. Good you still have plans and can do things when you are feeling well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see a post from you, I have missed your posts. I hope the Doctor is able to find something to help you. Good luck with you swimming, I love swimming at one time I used to go swimming 5 times a week and swim 250 lengths. It is certainly something that kept me fit at the time. Take good care of yourself. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to see an update from you. Your post is very thoughtful. I'm sorry you're having migraines, and I do hope this doctor can finally get you relief.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been in my thoughts a lot. Sending all positive vibes. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending lots of positive healing energy your way. Hopefully the medical folks can get to the reason why all these nasty migraines & put a stop to them. Oh swimming is a wonderful pastime - enjoy yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see you blogging! I've missed your posts. I hope you get the migraines sorted soon. Take care x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts