The Garden in August

the hibiscus is flowering
 

The landscapers started work on Monday but, while progress can be seen, it's slower than expected. That's all down to the heat ... it's just too hot for the physical effort required to get the work done. I feel so sorry for them but all I can do is keep them supplied with drinks.

So far they have cleared all of the unwanted growth down by the stream - nettles, brambles, tall grasses, and dock. This task was chosen because it was cooler down there under the shade of the overhanging trees. The area is now cleared so the next stage is to build some steps down to the stream, which is a task for next week. I'm still waiting for the trees that are now overhanging my garden to be cut back or down. I know that the owner is on the case, but it seems to be taking a long time so I'll be glad when that is done.

The topsoil has been delivered. It was due at midday today but actually arrived at 7 am before I was out of bed, so Niall had to deal with it! I woke up to this ...


T has been doing his best to tidy up the soil mountain and has wheel-barrowed (not sure that's a word, but you get what I mean!) some of it round to the back garden ready to start creating the flower beds.


The lawn has gone on this side. We spent Monday laying out rope to decide on the shape of the flower beds and paths. You can't really see it properly in this photo but I'm happy with the design chosen. The idea is that I can walk around the flower beds to enjoy the plants and to get close up to take photos as and when I feel like it. I'm planning to get a rollator (probably this one) to use in the garden as I think it will be easier that trying to take photos when I am relying on my crutches. With the rollator I will have storage to carry my camera equipment and I will be able to sit down whenever I want to. That's the plan anyway.

The areas under the mounds of soil have been rotivated. The paths need to be edged before the soiled can be spread properly and there will be soil improver added as well. They have reused the gravel to create a base for the paths but the main material will be hoggin in the same colour as the patio.

The only work on the other side (below) so far has been to remove the gravel and reuse it for the paths. The lawn will be removed and on this side the space will be divided to create three flower beds. The sleepers are for the new steps down to the stream.


There are plenty of plants still in pots so M (gardener) will be back to get them planted as soon as the landscapers are finished, possibly in another week or two. I'm not sure they will all be used in my garden as I want to stick to drought tolerant plants as much as possible but friends have put their names on the ones they want so they won't go to waste if I decide not to use them. T is going to set up an irrigation system on a timer to make the watering easier for me. He'll do part of that now and come back to finish it off once the plants are in the ground. I've also bought some water butts which he is going to connect to one of the down pipes for me.

Comments

Popular Posts