Five on Friday

I'm joining in with Amy's 'Five on Friday' and because it's the first week of the month, I'm sharing five intentions about what I hope to accomplish during October.  But before I do that, here's the update on my September list: 
 
  • Finish tidying the garden and take the rubbish over to the skip.  Draw up a plan for the stone patio I'd like to replace the slippery decking and arrange for some quotes. Done, but I'm still waiting for a couple of quotes to come in, before I can make any decisions.
  • Complete the (boring) financial things that need to be done.  Done and I'm negotiating my retirement date!
  • Make a list of days out and activities from Sept to the run up to Christmas. Done - here's the list  
  • Send some unwanted items to a charity shop.  Done; I didn't take anything to the charity shop but I donated some more books to the friends of the hospital where Ced was treated, for their fund raising.
  • Set aside some time to create and update a Flickr page for my photos.  I've started this but it's going to take ages!  The Flickr page now exists but I haven't loaded any photos yet.  I'm still editing the ones I want to add to the page but it may have to wait until I finish working.
 
So, onto my October intentions:
 
One Start playing the piano again - I haven't played regularly for ages and I miss doing it. I still have to work hard at learning a new piece so my standard of playing drops off really quickly when I don't practice. I know I can avoid that frustration by playing every day, I enjoy it when I do and it's a great way for me to relax ... so why aren't I doing it?  I'm hoping that if I focus on this, by the end of the month I'll be back in the routine of regular playing.
 
Two | Get in the kitchen and try some new recipes.  I keep saving bookmarks to recipes I think I'll like and then never do anything with them!  I'm trying to get my recipes organised (inspired by Ella's progress) but have let my own efforts slip recently.  I hope to try out two savoury meals and two desserts/cakes this month, which have to be selected from my saved recipes - the last thing I want to do is search for any new ones as that'll just add to the problem!
 
Three | Get in touch with an old friend I've lost contact with.
 
Four | Get some quotes for the bigger (i.e. expensive) work I like to do in the house.  The boiler will need be to be replaced soon, I think, and if that's the case I'd like to see how much it will cost to have it moved up to the airing cupboard as this will give me some much needed extra storage in the kitchen. I want to get the rest of the rooms decorated and look at the cost of replacement sofas.  And maybe a new front door.
 
Five | List a minimum of five things for sale on eBay, Gumtree or Amazon.  But hopefully more! I'm not sure whether the lack of progress is due to not wanting to let go of his things, or just lack of effort on my part.  I know it has to go - I don't really want it and don't have room for all of it - and I know I'll feel better once I have the space that will be left, but letting it go just makes it all seem so final.
 
I'll review my progress in the first week of November.
 
Thanks to Amy for organising this.

Comments

  1. We had a new boiler last year, and had it relocated from the kitchen to the utility, and had the hot water tank removed as the new one is a combi boiler, the whole lot cost around £1500, just to give you a rough idea of what to expect. If you need the name of a good bloke, his surname is the same as your mother's maiden name and he lives in Westbury - he is VERY good, so it takes ages to get to the top of his list.
    Sounds like you wil be enjoying October, I would dearly love to be able to play piano, both my younger two sons had lessons in their teens but neither play now, although GO has an electronic keyboard.
    Joy x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I was guessing at about £2500 so that'll be a lot cheaper. I think I've found the man you're referring to - initials B D? I'll arrange for him to quote. Do you find the combi boiler has saved you money on your monthly bills?

      Delete
    2. Oh, maybe I made a mistake with your mum's maiden name? He is called Barry Meaden. I don't know the figures, as GM looks after the finances, but we are definitely saving on the monthly payments.

      Delete
    3. Well remembered. Yes that's the one I found following your previous comment. Thanks Joy.

      Delete
  2. Omgosh, you have written all about things I should do.. well done you and good luck on working through your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Amy's ... great list of things to accomplish. Good luck with everything, and I hope you get some new recipes and learn a new piece on the piano :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five positive things to accomplish for October. I could do with trying out some new recipes as we seem to be stuck in a rut with food at the moment also the living room is looking tired and needs a bit of a facelift - I find it hard to decide what colour schmes to go for though:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a great fan of lists and find that its helps me to achieve results. Good lucks with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your list! You have encouraged me to do the same...I have at least six things I need to sell on craigslist or ebay More organizing and cleaning out to do in my home, and either give away some stuff or throw it away! Fall is always such a great time to do this kind of thing. Thanks for the reminder! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with everything. I'm not organized enough to figure out what I should be maybe possibly doing at any point in time, plus I'm a big time procrastinator. Trying to be better with that at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed. Five things to work on for October. Sounds like a great plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was good progress you did on your September goals :) I like your October goals; all doable ones! I know its hard to get out of the practice of practicing piano or any other instrument. Hubby has to make an effort to try to get to practicing guitar weekly; harder now that he's back to working full time, but he knows the importance of keeping up with the talent through practice.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. You certainly had a busy September. Oh I would love to be able to play the piano, I do hope you get lots of opportunities to play. Like you Lady Ella inspired me to sort through my recipes. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list, I need to set up some goals. Yeah retirement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did very well with your September intentions, and I am sure that you will do just as well with November's. Getting quotes for the work and things you want to do is a good idea because then you know what you are facing and can make plans accordingly cant you. Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You rocked out September- Hope you do as well in October

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eileen, My first time visit to your blog. I was quite interested to learn you are taking up the piano again. Me too! I haven't played much over the past few years, but this summer I took it up again ... first, to re-learn a piece of music I played when I was in high school and my mom loved it ... I surprised her by playing it for her 80th birthday. She was so very pleased and touched. I've been now learning Chopin's Etude in E Maj ... I learned the first page decades ago, so it was like staring at a page of Greek when I started, and it took a while. I'm now tackling the section I never did learn. Little by little.

    I'd love to learn more about what you are working on ... and I wish you well as you put your hands and heart back into this beautiful pastime.

    Brenda


    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just been back to look at your list of things to do this Autumn. I spotted Well Food Festival and had to smile. We called into this last year on a visit to The Bishops Palace. We wandered into the town hall foyer and were handed canapés and a fizzy cocktail. I lost sight of my friends and thought they had gone upstairs to look at more food stalls. Up I went drink in hand along with a lot of othe folks. Imagine my surprise to find I was in the midst of a ticket only dinner! I made a hasty exit out AFTER finishing my drink of course!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've been busy! And another big list has been made! I know - it feels early for Christmas plans, but really , it will sneak up on us otherwise. I need to play the piano more, too. My kids take lessons so it feels like they are always using it, and I never get a chance anymore. Must make time......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts