Films, Birds and Groups

Yesterday's trip to the cinema was a pleasant enough way to pass a couple of hours. There were quite a few laughs mixed in with all the super hero fantasy, but quite a strange ending. If that ending was designed to make us go back to see the next Avengers film, assuming there is going to be one, it's worked - we have to know how 'it' all gets resolved.

There are plenty of birds visiting the garden now - no photos yet as I still haven't sorted out the problem with loading them to the blog. I had the French doors open while I was eating my lunch and saw a very busy blackbird, quite a few starlings and sparrows, a magpie, loads of pigeons, and a chaffinch (I think). It was at the far end of the garden and moving quickly so I didn't get a good look at it but I heard a chaffinch calling so there was one in the area somewhere. 

I'm thinking of giving the U3A another go, this time with the Bradford on Avon branch. From their website they seem to be much more organised than the branch I tried before and they have a better choice of active group I'd be interested in. Just looking through the list of groups there's scrabble, rummikubs, card games, easy walks, family history, photography, boules, and country dancing. Some of these groups meet monthly, some fortnightly and a couple are weekly, so I'll have to put my thinking cap on and decide which ones I'd like to try. The decision may be made for me as the next step is to contact the organisers to see if there are still spaces in my chosen groups and if there are any extra costs in addition to the annual membership fee. That'll probably be a job for next week.

Comments

  1. Pleased to read that your "cold" has disappeared. I've joined the Andover branch of U3A, there are two photography groups, both meet on a friday afternoon, one on the first and one on the third friday of each month, but since I joined in January (when I had the lurgy and simply didn't feel well enough) none of my Fridays have been free! I may just make it to tomorrow's meeting. Being busy with GD5 for three days each week doesn't really leave me enough time to do much else! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the photography. We should try to fit in a photo walk together if we can, maybe half way between our homes?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are moving ahead with all your retirement plans. I'm not sure I know what U3A is, but if they offer some social time, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's full title is the University of the Third Age, an organisation for over 55s (I think). There are branches all over the country and each branch organises monthly meeting, day trips, and social and educational activities. The actual activities vary from branch to branch so it's a case of finding one close to home which offers the things I'm interested in. The annual membership is, for the one I've chosen, only £10 a year,

      Delete
    2. Thanks Eileen. I like that, University Of The Third Age & 10 (pounds) sounds a reasonable cost ... in Canadian dollars I think it would be about $20.

      Delete
  3. Glad to read that you are feeling better. I like the sound of that U3A - I don't think we have anything like that here, but I haven't checked out the senior centers and what they offer, yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts