Physio 2 and Mindfulness

It was the second physio session this morning. After the first session, where it was mostly talking, I was a little sceptical about how much I'd benefit from these sessions but today I left feeling much more positive.

The session started with a talk on pain control which was informative and I came way feeling that I'd added to my knowledge base. We discussed not only the various options for pain relief but also how to use your chosen method correctly - a lot of new information to have a think about. They offer TENS machines you can use on a trial basis and then purchase if you find it works, so that's one possibility, but I think my initial approach will be to use a combination of a pain relieving gel and a heat pad, one of the herbal ones you warm in the microwave. I want to avoid medication if possible as I already take a concoction of tablets every day, so don't want to add more unless I really need to. We finished the session by completing three different exercises each. I tried balancing (need to work on this!), steps, and the static exercise bike.

Whatever pain relief I choose, it has be be backed up by a regular exercise programme so it's time to recharge the Fitbit and restart my walking schedule - tomorrow will be day one! There are quite a few local 'walking for health' groups which I have in mind to join once I've built up a bit of strength and stamina - the shortest 'walk for health' is 45 minutes, so I have quite a bit of work to do first!

This afternoon I'm off to Frome with Julie for a wander round the shops, followed by a meal, and tonight we have tickets to see Ruby Wax's 'Frazzled' show, where she discusses her approach to mindfulness.

Comments

  1. It does sound like the physio sessions have been beneficial to you. I got my step counter out last week before I got ill & started tracking the steps again. It will be interesting to hear back from you what Ruby had to say & suggest for mindfulness. Glad to hear you are on the mend, but if you're like me, recovery is too slow (col).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank goodness the chatting subsided enough that you could actually do some practical stuff! Here's to the up and up! Good luck with the walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the physio sessions will be helpful. Glad to hear you will start walking, again. I need to start walking on a more regular schedule, myself. I've been rather lax about it, lately. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts