Saturday Check-In

I weighed myself for the first time since my visit to the doctor and the start of this latest attempt to turn my life around.  My own scales show a loss of 9lbs (4kg) in 11 days, which I find really hard to believe. I checked again at a friend's home and got the same result, so the starting weight must have been wrong.  It seems too big a loss in such a short time.  I'll check on the big scales in Boots next time I'm in town - I'll be over the moon if it is accurate but realistically I know it isn't, although I can tell I have lost some weight .... just not that much!

I've been really good at sticking to the number of calories set for each day. I'm trying to avoid all processed food and where it is unavoidable, then opt for choices that have a maximum of five ingredients listed - this is in line with the information on the 100 Days of Real Food blog. I'm also making an effort to eat more of the foods that could help to reduce cholesterol - oily fish, for example, and to drink the recommended amount of water every day. So far, these changes are proving to be easier that I thought and I'm enjoying the meals I'm eating.

As for exercise, I've made a real effort to be more active.  I started walking around the village on alternate days, with steps and exercises indoors on the other days - about 30 minutes of exercise every day. I start my day with this and then, whatever else I plan to do that day, it is over and done with.

So, I'm off to a good start and feel positive about how it's gone so far.  I can monitor the weight and exercise but not the cholesterol, obviously.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I'm making the correct changes to reduce that figure as well - any tips for reducing cholesterol will be very much appreciated.

Comments

  1. I think 9 pounds is probably pretty accurate with the changes you made. A lot of it could be water weight and don't be surprised when you weigh next week if you haven't lost any weight; your body could be shifting around and will adjust accordingly. Way to go with sticking with it too!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Eileen and I would agree with Betty's comment about the increased initial weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good for you. I need to use this as inspiration! I'm finally moving more but eating worse than ever.
    Re. cholesterol, I've heard oats and garlic are good at lowering levels. You may already know that. Benecol if you believe the ads. If you don't like it, I think olive-based products are at least less damaging than other oils.
    I wonder if writing/reading blow-by-blow accounts of long distance hikes counts as exercise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a terrific start :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts