A Troublesome Night

Was anyone lucky enough to sleep through the noise of that wind last night? I certainly wasn't so will probably need to prop my eyelids open with matchsticks to get me through the day. I think it will be the same for everyone living close to me. 

Unfortunately it was the night to put the wheelie bins out for the cardboard and plastics collection and not many of the bins made it through the night without any mishaps. I actually heard mine take off, so at about 2 o'clock this morning I was chasing the contents of my bin up and down the street and then moving the bin back towards the shelter of the garage and side gate. I'd just dosed off again when I heard another bin being blown about followed closely by a car alarm, luckily not mine, which went on for ages. I peeked out this morning and can see that a bin from the other end of the cul-se-sac had travelled the entire length of the street and hit a parked car, which is now sporting a badly dented driver's door. 

The wind didn't give up at all during the night, although it is much quieter out there now, and all I managed in the way of sleep was to dose from time to time. I've just been out to move my bin back to the correct spot for collection -  somehow my neighbour's bin stayed upright and exactly where he left it but the content of all the others is dotted about the street and in front gardens. I suppose we should be thankful that it wasn't the household waste collection! A tree has blown down in the adjoining road but luckily doesn't appear to have done any damage and isn't blocking the road. 

I've had a quick look at the back garden and there's no damage that I can see. My fences are still standing although I can see some poor soul's fence panel near the reed bed that runs through the estate and it looks like a neighbour has lost the roof of their shed. Let's hope for a quieter night tonight!

Comments

  1. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but after having had the lurgy for a couple of weeks, and waking up three or four times each night with a coughing fit, last night I had the best night's sleep I've had all year and slept through the whole thing. Thankfully it's not bin day for us, and all our local bins seem to be in the right place, so maybe you had it worse than us? Thanks for all your help yesterday and hope you manage to get through today without too much in the way of matchstickitis. x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that does sound like an awful way to spend the night, chasing bins about. The wind can be very unsettling & when it cuts through the farmers field behind us it brings about either dirt or snow along with the worry I have for our trees surviving. Fingers crossed for a quieter uneventful sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap. I was kept awake by the howling gale and the airborne bins. It wasn't collection day but each house has three bins and a cupboard only big enough for one of them so there are always some available for takeoff. I'm shattered today. Quiet lunchtime reading blogs rather than attempting conversation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had quite a night! It did wake me but we didn't have such devastation. Nothing worse than the contents of your bin exposed for the whole street to inspect. I bet you are secretly glad your car wasn't hit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts