The Simple Woman's Daybook - Thursday 20th February 2014

FOR TODAY

Outside my window ... there is a beautiful blue sky filled with white fluffy clouds. It has been raining on and off but in between the showers there is bright sunshine.

I am thinking ... about too many things and not achieving much as a result!

I am thankful ... for continuity and routine.  I've always railed against routine but have come to see the importance of it over the last year - it keeps me going.

In the kitchen ... there is a pile of ingredients on the work surface waiting for me to start cooking.  I am going to do a new recipe for my lunch (courgette and mushroom frittata), start a lentil and vegetable soup in the slow cooker, cook a gammon joint on the hob (part of which I'll slice and freeze and the remainder will be added to a pea and ham soup which I'll cook tomorrow in the slow cooker).  I'm also trying out a new breakfast recipe - Jamaican breakfast risotto (rice, coconut milk, pineapple, banana and sliced almonds) - I'm not sure about this one but I'm trying to add a bit more variety to my diet so it is worth a try.

I am wearing ...  blue!  Skirt, top, jumper, socks (my feet are cold!), slippers - all blue!

I am creating ... lesson plans.  In the last three weeks I have taken on 43 new pupils for individual/group instrumental lessons plus 2 extra classes for wider opportunity music lessons.  The lesson plans are for the class lessons as these new classes are key stage 1 which I don't normally teach so I have to prepare some age appropriate resources.

I am going ... to join in with Karen for a photo challenge which is to shut yourself in a room until you have taken 30 photos. The thinking behind this is that it will make you look and think creatively - it definitely will in my room of choice, lots of white on white photos so a challenge technically as well! We've both opted to do our photos in the bathroom but I've left it too late to start today as I'm expecting friends round later.  Joy, if you read this, do you fancy joining in with us as well? Or anyone else who feels like having a go?

I am wondering ... when the weather will improve enough for the lawn to be removed.  My nephews have offered to do it for me but the ground is way too wet still. 

I am reading ... 'Close My Eyes' by Sophie McKenzie.  I've only read the first chapter so far.

I am hoping ... that things improve fairly quickly.  I am feeling fragile, both physically and emotionally.  I'm still waiting for the results of the pre-Christmas tests from the hospital so in the meantime am coping with the painful episodes without any guidance.  I've phoned for the results but am still waiting to hear back!  It is coming up to a year since Ced died and it has all come back to the very front of my mind.  I feel on the verge of tears all the time and it is an effort to get myself motivated about most things. It may be the first stages of depression, may be normal bereavement emotions or may be my normal low mood for January/February which are always difficult months - probably a combination of all of them.  I've seen my doctor and spoken to friends and family and for the time being we're simply monitoring things.

I am looking forward to ... going to see the stage version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  We're not going until April but Julie is getting overexcited already!!

I am learning ... that I am more capable than I give myself credit for.  My initial reaction when something needs repairing around the house is to panic(!!).  This was always Ced's domain, but I've obviously absorbed some knowledge over the years because for the most part I can sort things myself.  Where I can't my brother-in-law and nephews are always at the end of the phone, ready and willing to help!

Around the house ... I need to do some housework.  Even I can see that the house needs some loving attention!

I am pondering ... some holidays, short breaks and day trips.  I'm quite keen to go on a cruise and have seen a couple which go to Iceland where you also have the opportunity to go whale watching. I can't do anything about booking it yet as I need to sort my teaching timetable for next academic year.  The cruises I'm interested in all leave during term time so it depends on how well I can juggle my commitments and how amenable the schools are!

One of my favourite things ... the quality of the sunlight in between the rain showers

A few plans for the rest of the week:
  • Friday: Photography (30 photos in one room), canal walk if it stays fine
  • Saturday: Girly film night with friends, watching DVDs and eating yummy pizza
  • Sunday: Relaxing at home
  • Monday: Teaching
  • Tuesday: Shopping in the morning and teaching in the afternoon
  • Wednesday: Teaching
  • Thursday: Teaching + visiting friends in the evening
A peek into my day ... Cooking, chatting with friends, reading, watching some TV later tonight.

A favourite quote for today ...
'Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened.' Dr Seuss


Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that you are feeling low at the moment, I'm sure this awful weather doesn't help either, just hope you'll be feeling better soon, especially if we have some sunshine. Thanks for inviting me to join in with the photo challenge, I'll maybe give it a try next week sometime. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of taking 30 photos in one room - but I just have to much to do at the moment to join in. Hopefully with the lengthening days your spirits will lift. I would love to go whale watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of my daughter's favorite quotes, too! And one she quotes at me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have this printed out and kept it by my computer so I saw it regularly. It's a good attitude to have.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts