Thursday

Thank you for your kind comments yesterday. I had a lovely time meeting up with Joy and some of you may be pleased to hear that the list for the Winter Photo Scavenger Hunt has been decided.

The home improvement project is picking up speed. I'll be meeting D at Wickes at 8:30 am to choose the toilets and buy some bits and pieces that will be needed next week. I'll follow him home to open up so he can carry on with the en-suite while I drive over to Leekes to pay the outstanding balance on the order for the new sofa and chairs. The store has notified delivery for next week, which is a week earlier than expected. I also received an email advising that the TV unit I want to buy is expected from the overseas manufacturer by the end of next week so I'll be phoning to pay for that and to arrange delivery. Disappointingly, their standard courier delivery is 12 - 15 days so I'm hoping there is an option to pay for a speedier service. I've delayed ordering the new carpets because I want to be sure of the colour of the new sofa and chairs before I make my choice. Also, I'm more likely to get a better price if I wait for the January sales! 

This means that I now have to dispose of the old sofa before next Wednesday. There won't be room on the skip but it's almost full and they still have the other bathroom to do so I'm going to check with N to see if he's planning to order a second skip. If he is, I may ask him to get a bigger one, share the cost, and then take the opportunity to get rid of a lot of stuff in the garage as well as the sofa and the old mattress. The local council now charges over £20 per item to collect large household waste so the chance to dispose of it all in a skip on my drive isn't going to be much more expensive when I take account of all the large items in the garage which have to go.

It's the monthly Family History meeting tonight. There will be a talk about different ways of using the information in the census documents, which I'm really looking forward to, and then it'll be home for an early night.

Comments

  1. A good idea about the skip. Getting rid of large household stuff can be really difficult. When I was little, there was a rag'n'bone man who came round regularly (complete with horse and cart) and took all that sort of stuff. A real Steptoe and Son.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That brings back memories. I can remember the rag and bone man coming round and feeding a carrot to his horse. He sometimes gave us balloons.

      Delete
  2. Yeah a WSPH. There are many companies now offering removal of items from your home, nothing is too small or too big for them & we took advantage of the skip in our driveway for the roofing job. Nothing big just stuff from the garden clean up. It will be nice to have the garage for your car again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already asked for quotes but they work out to be more expensive than having a skip.

      Delete
  3. Pleased to hear about the winter hunt. I can now spend some time guessing what might be on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have too long to wait. It starts on Dec 1st.

      Delete
  4. It's exciting to be getting to this stage !

    Have you thought of Freecycle as a way of getting rid of some of the furniture and other bulky items? It's amazing what people will take, even as an upcycling project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already advertised some of the stuff as free to collector, but so far no interest. I'm desparate for space now with the new furniture arriving next week and the double bed the following week so I've decided that it just has to go. I need to allow enough empty floor space so all the trades can work safely in the house otherwise I'd hang on to it in the hope that someone would want it.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like all the pieces are falling into place as far as the home renovation is concerned. I pay a monthly trash collection fee, that is predetermined and included as part of my municipal services bill, but they will haul away any bulky items, free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all coming together. We pay for the normal kerbside collection for the majority of the household waster but the local council will only take large bulky items if you pay extra. If I had access to a bigger car I'd take it to the recycling centre, which would be free.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts