I've abandoned my plans to go out today as it's pouring with rain. On the plus side I won't need to water the plants tonight, but the down side is that I'm at a bit of a loose end. So I'm sorting recipes, inspired in part by Lady Ella who has been busy with exactly the same task.
Or I should say that I've started sorting them. I have loads and loads of online recipes which I've bookmarked but have never tried them out. If you'd asked me before the brainstorming session I'd have been hard pushed to explain why but now I have a clearer idea. I don't use them because:
- the bookmarks aren't labelled properly so I don't always know what recipes I've saved,
- there is no order to the way they are saved so even if I remembered a particular recipe, it wouldn't be an easy task to find it,
- it's sometimes difficult to manage new ingredients which can't be bought in small quantities when cooking for one, even if I freeze extra portions,
- I prefer to have the recipe in front of me when I'm cooking but don't have any of the recipes printed out and there is not enough room to use the laptop in the kitchen, and
- I'm stuck in a bit of a rut about the foods I eat.
All of these things are simple to overcome. Time consuming initially, but easy enough to get it all sorted and come up with a workable solution.
I still need to lose a lot of weight and I plan to do this with a combination of the Slimming World approach and calorie counting - this is what worked for me when I lost three stone and when I was monitoring my daily food intake using the My Fitness Pal app. One of the more useful features of the app is the facility to import recipes from the Internet and it'll show you the nutritional value and calorie count per portion. So that's my starting point. I've sorted out some new recipes to try out, have made a note of any new ingredients I'll need and I've imported the recipes into My Fitness Pal. I've also deleted the bookmark, printed out the recipes and if they are successful I'll laminate them to keep them for future use.