I need routine in my life! I always fight against it but have finally admitted that it is good for me - I never thought I'd hear myself saying that.
I'm currently trying to sort out a workable routine for the weekdays during term time. Saturday is band in the morning with the remainder of the weekend being left free for whatever I fancy doing. I'm trying to see how I can jiggle the teaching around so that I have less travelling and less waiting time - if this is possible the changes probably won't happen before the next school year starts in September.
I've had a long think about the things that I need to be stricter with myself about getting done - the things that get me down if I don't stay on top of them. There are a few tasks which I routinely do now and have no problem fitting them in so I doubt that I'll timetable them. These are:
- washing up and tidying the kitchen after the evening meal,
- checking and watering the garden,
- putting a load of laundry in as soon as I get home when necessary, and
- updating my teaching records and accounts daily
The things that I need to keep on top of are:
- banking payments regularly,
- piano practice,
- some sort of meal planning/shopping so I don't resort to so many takeaways (the number of takeaways I have is always a good indication of my emotional health!),
- housework, including making the bed properly every day, and
- car maintenance (oil, tyres, screen wash, etc.)
Evenings after I've eaten my meal and tidied the kitchen will be left free.
This is stage one. Once I get this sorted and I'm sticking to it for the majority of the time, then I'll move on to looking at how and when I can fit in some regular exercise. I'm also assessing whether it is viable to change all of my teaching to private lessons and withdraw from the majority of the schools but I'll discuss the benefits of that in another post once I've thought it through.
So, checking my timetable ... it's Tuesday morning, there's nothing written in, so I'm off to make a coffee and will get on with my latest book! This routine thing may work after all!!