The Year In Books | May 2015


I only managed to finish four books in April so I'm behind on my target to read 75 books this year. I'll have to catch up in the summer holidays!
 
My first read was Frozen Grave by Lee Weeks, a fairly standard serial killer thriller which was an easy read.  I actually had to look at the blurb on the back of the book before writing this as I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was about.  I think that says it all!
 
My next read was The First Fifteen Live of Harry August by Claire North and I loved it.  It was a bit slow to start with (but I thought the same about The Time Traveller's Wife, which is the same genre) and I didn't really get into it until about a third of the way through and then I couldn't put it down. 
 
My chosen biography for April was Driving Miss Smith: A Memoir of Linda Smith by Warren Lakin.  I was slightly disappointed by this one and found it hard going in places because there were pages and pages about the growth of the comedy scene in the UK and not enough detail about Linda Smith herself. I ended up feeling that, apart from the parts about her childhood, I hadn't really added much to my knowledge of her, which isn't really what you want from a biography.

My final read was the book group choice, And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.  Online reviews suggested that it isn't as good as his other books, which I haven't read yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading the other two.  He is such a good story teller and the writing just flowed.  I've added him to my list of authors to follow and I'd definitely recommend this one.
 
As for my May reads ... I'm not sure yet.  The book group read will probably be A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, but we'll make the final decision when we meet on Tuesday, and I've just started reading At Sea by Laurie Graham.  The rest of my May reads will just be picked at random from my to-read pile.
 
Linking with Laura @ Circle of Pine Trees. 

Comments

  1. the 2nd recommendation I've read for the Claire North book - on my list to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out the other three you listed here, I did read And the Mountains Echoed and did thoroughly enjoy it too.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts