Me On Monday

Sunday was very calm. I spoke to Julie for an update on her daughters (starting to feel better, thank goodness) but apart from that I didn't speak to anyone else. I kept myself busy by finishing the third Harry Potter audiobook, editing some photos, and after the Queen's Message to the Nation, I settled down to watch the BBC series  Killing Eve.

On to today and I am ...

... looking  for recipes to use some of the vegetables I received in the vegetable box. This is what was in the box ...


... and I'm looking for new ways to use the wild mushrooms, courgettes, leeks, peppers, and shallots. I don't have enough potatoes to make my usual recipes so I'll be trying something different this month.  So far I've found leek, carrot and lentil soup, roasted cucumber and shallots, lentils, rice and caramelised shallots, and wild mushrooms with shallots.

... choosing the shows I want to watch this week. I am going to indulge myself and will be going to the theatre every night. Here's a link to a list of shows that are free to view, in case you are interested:

... continuing to watch the BBC series, Killing Eve. Julie recommended it so I started watching the first series yesterday. I've watched three episodes so far and am hooked. Apparantly I have until April 13th to catch up as that's when series 3 starts broadcasting. 

... remembering bits of my childhood. I woke to messages from my sister who has found some old photos and sent copies to me ... happy memories!

... eager to start working on my new blanket. I've warned my sister that I'm starting it this week so she's promised to do a short video to remind me how to hold the hook and wool properly and give me some tips.

Today's list of things to do:
  • physical: Doctor Jo's knee exercises
  • in the fresh air: a walk to the marina and back  after choir practice has finished. I'm deeming this to be low risk and I need some fresh air.
  • around the house: change bedding, laundry, clean microwave, clean toilets
  • social: online choir practice
  • fun: algebra coursework, piano practice

Comments

  1. That's a very good f&v box - it looks brilliant. I now wish I'd got into that sort of thing. Our local company is not accepting new customers at the moment. Something to think about for the future.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This supplier was refusing new customers as they were overwhelmed by the demand and closed to new orders. Once they caught up and reorganised they opened up orders, including new customers, again. It may be worth regularly checking back with your supplier to see if the situation has changed. Also consider places who wouldn't usually deliver as, certainly in this area, the majority are now prepared to deliver to your door.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice assortment of fruits and vegetables! You found some great recipes, too, to prepare them! Sounds like you'll be busy doing some food prep and cooking! Hope your Monday goes well and you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased with the amount and the quality of the fruits and veggies. In normal times you are permitted to swap up to five of them for alternatives but that option is suspended for the time being.

      I'm using up the things with the shorter shelf life first so will try the wild mushroom recipe tomorrow and I had banana pancakes for breakfast today.

      Delete
  3. Your fruit & veg photos could be used for ads. I do hope you get out for that walk today, it's amazing how it will feel to be "free" & to see something other your own, well beautiful, back garden & four walls. I have been craving a fresh salad but unfortunately lettuces of any type are in short supply in the grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just come back in from walking in the garden. I decided against going out, partly because I am supposed to be self isolating so shouldn't be going out at all, but mostly because my neighbour advised caution. Apparently a couple of teenage lads are wandering around the village coughing and spitting at people. The police have been informed but their behaviour stops it being a low risk option for me. I can exercise in the garden so I will stick to that for now.

      The veggie box included baby salad leaves and cress, not my usual choice, but it's very enjoyable all the same.

      Delete
    2. Oh how despicable. I heard something about it in the news, that such behaviour would be treated as assault. I don't understand these covidiots who treat this situation as a joke. Same goes for those who think it's OK to gather in public - time for the fines to be enforced I think - I don't want my daily walk allowance withdrawn!
      Beautiful produce photos!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I've read of a few similar incidents around the country including a man in his 40s who deliberately coughed in a police officer's face!

      The police have started handing out fines but I think it is time to be much stricter and the lockdown enforced. If people can't practice social distancing properly they should be tagged and confined to their homes so that the ones who do know how to follow the rules can continue to do so safei.

      Delete
  4. Wise decision not to walk in public. I hope that the police catch this young lads. And if they are underage I hope the parents are charged. In our region this is now considered an act of terrorism & the charges include cell time! In one of the grocery stores in the city next to us, a young lad (20yrs) spit at a cashier, he was caught & now sits in a jail cell. Think on people! Our police are also charging people that are in the parks and/or in groups of non living together ... it is very serious. Spitting on people at any time is SO rude & disgusting. Unfortunately there is always going to be these sorts ... I'll say no more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm staying at home for now. It's just not worth the risk.

      Delete
  5. The vegetables look so wonderful! They would make a great advert!

    I don't know what people get out of doing something like that! I must admit that I would find it really difficult not to at least go out for my morning walk. Most of the people where I go (and the time I go) are older people, or people walking their dogs. It's too early for the teens to be up lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be an updated version of the 'happy slapping' craze that thankfully has died out. This is potentially more dangerous though.

      Delete
  6. The Love Food Hate Waste is packed with ideas. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aril. I'd forgotten all about that site. I had a quick look last night and found a couple of interesting recipes using chickpeas which I've added to my list.

      Delete
  7. That’s very nice box of vegetables and fruits.
    Ooh those wild mushrooms! Have you tried mushroom risotto? That’s one of my favorite dishes to make with mushrooms. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of risotto. I'll try that when I get the next box. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts