Me On Monday ...

... is feeling reflective. 

My chosen word for this year is 'simplify' and there is no denying that,  even if not in the way I had envisaged, many aspects of life are simpler as a result of the restrictions imposed due the coronavirus pandemic.

The pace of life is undoubtedly slowing down, I am listening to my body, eating and sleeping to its demands rather than following a schedule dictated by the clock. An unwelcome addition is the constant feeling of anxiety for a situation where the resolution is out of my control and that feeling underpins everything - it's that fear for the safety of family and friends, and for the reliance we all have on strangers to play their part in keeping the population safe and the complete failure of some to do this. I know that everyone one is in the same position and I cope by taking one day at a time, accepting the situation and not driving myself to distraction by focusing on what I can't do.

I'm trying to approach this as exactly what it is - another stage in my life, the duration of which is unknown and although it's a change I didn't choose, it is what it is. With this uncertainty in mind I owe it to myself to continue to strive for ways of achieving the fulfilled life I am seeking. The restrictions of the lockdown have certainly had an impact on how I live my life but it is increasingly revealing things about myself and about the things that are important to me. Family and friends obviously top the list of the important things in life ... but I already knew that. Contact is maintained via phone calls, messages, zoom meetings and WhatsApp videos until such time as face-to-face meetings are possible.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that having music in some form in my life is a need rather than a want. I currently have the weekly choir practice and I do play instruments at home but I think there is room for more, to fill the loss of the band and all that playing an instrument in a group environment brings. This is on the list to rectify when possible but for now, the need is satisfied by the virtual choir practice and playing at home.

The same goes for doing something that requires concentration, focus and is enough of a challenge to make me use my brain. The puzzles and quizzes help but it is the family tree research and the algebra course that really meets this need ... not every day necessarily, maybe a few sessions a week.

My love of reading is still there, as is my love of photography, although with both activities I'm in a bit of a slump at present. I'm sure this will change though. The other big thing in my life, and which I want to do more of in the future, is to see more plays, musicals and films. My big plan for this year was going to be a fortnight in London seeing a different show every night. That will still happen at some time in the future but for now I can still enjoy virtual trips to the theatres to see the offerings released online by the National Theatre, Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Globe, and Sandlers Wells. 

Around the house I have abandoned any attempts at following my cleaning schedule and am doing the housework as and when I feel like it. The house still looks clean and tidy but I felt the need to ease off on what I was doing and I am happy enough with how things are going. I can't say the same about the garden though so am actively looking for someone to help out. 

The only issue is that this situation means a pause in completing the decluttering which is frustrating. I don't want people calling at the house and I can't go to the post office so there is no way to sell anything at present. However, I am re-sorting everything and being much more ruthless about what will possibly sell in the future and disposing of the rest. I have a lot of card making and scrapbook resources which I will  be sorting through to offer to local families for free - I'll follow the examples of others and put a box of goodies outside for people to help themselves.

I've waffled on for ages so well done if you got this far. There are other changes that I will make but they need more thought so I won't mention them now except to say that I have a fairly short list of things I think I want to remove from my life when normal life resumes but for now, despite the strangeness of the situation, life feels good. Confinement to home has stripped life down to the basics and in a relatively short time I am clear in my mind which people and activities enhance my life and so are the important ones to take forward. Family and friends are well and that's all that matters really. Everything else is a bonus!

Comments

  1. It all sounds great. Seizing control of what can be controlled when so much is out of our control is a very empowering thing, I believe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I think any return to a lifestyle resembling normality is a long way off so it seemed important to make sure I'm living the best life I can now.

      Delete
  2. A very well written post, Eileen. It is almost a "watershed" sort of moment in time, isn't it? As you said, this is yet another phase in our lives. Taking things one day at a time is just about all we can do. That, and taking care of ourselves, in whatever way we can. I do hope you find someone to tend to your garden. If not, just do what you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I've left some enquiries with gardeners and am waiting to hear back ... keeping my fingers crossed that I can get someone to help.

      Delete
  3. Not a waffle to be found. Great post & you have observed some of the really important & key things to remember for a good life. I know everyone wants to clean out their closets but right now there's no where to take, so it's a task I'm happy to shelf for now. One of the things that I have slowed in doing was something I thought was important (maybe not to me) which was being a strong presence for my church pastoral care team. I took on regularly calling many of the seniors but in the end it was such a drain, many just wanted an ear to complain to. Now I make sure my calls are made every other day, short & those true energy vampires I leave for the minister to call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered registering to provide telephone support for the vulnerable group who are unable to leave their homes but decided against it for the reason you mention. I thought there was potential for it to be draining and wasn't sure that I'd be emotionally stable enough to cope.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts