Monday ... A Garden Update

J is a treasure! He cleared the garden (front and back) in just over two hours. This was all I asked him to do but he has offered to come back on Friday evening to dig over the bigger areas, lay some membrane and cover it with the gravel I have stored in the garage - this is a freebie. He also took all the cleared weeds to the skip for me.

Here are the 'before' and 'after' photos of the back garden. This is the area immediately outside the dining room ...

before
after

... then looking down the garden ...

before
after
 ... and finally, the part behind the garage.
before

after
The bed in the middle of the photo still needs a bit more weeding and at some stage I'd like to move some of the crocosmia, but for now it'll do as it is.

I forgot to take any 'before' photos of the front garden so here are the 'after' photos ...


I need to replace the climber I gave to my sister as it was too large for the space, and it needs some more small shrubs next to the buddleia but that may have to wait until next year. I can also see a dandelion next to the lilac which needs to come out! The buddleia needs some attention to remove some of the lower stems and knock it back into shape.

I don't know how much will actually get planted this year as all spare funds have been allocated to completing the house. I do have a gift token which should finance a couple of shrubs for the bigger area in the back garden behind the garage, but the priority for this year will be to keep on top of the maintenance and stay as weed free as possible. 

Comments

  1. Itb all looks lovely -8it will be such a pleasure to sit out in it, I think.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to some warmer mornings so I can eat my breakfast in the garden.

      Delete
  2. J is a treasure, one that I would like to borrow! Gardens look wonderful. It's nice to have some help that knows the difference between a weed & a plant. Maybe this year you can enjoy what comes up & blooms & then know for next year what needs changing/planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn’t think of himself as a gardener so apart from the easily recognisable thistles and nettles, I had to tell him what was to stay and what could go. He worked hard and has done a really good job.

      I’m off to the garden centres tomorrow to spend my tokens and also to have a look in their ‘neglected and dying’ plants sections to see if I can pick up any bargains.

      Delete
  3. J certainly accomplished a lot in his 2 hours! I love those trellises you have! I need to get one for my star jasmine and asparagus fern. The last couple of trellises I had, broke! Hope you find what you are looking for in the garden centers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These trellises aren’t very robust but they are still going strong after five years. My neighbour has suggested planting lots of bulbs before the membrane and gravel go down - I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! I’m off to look for bulbs tomorrow 😁

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good job jobbed! Another big tick, I think! Yes, those trellises do look good. I need one so will be having a look round. Hope you got a good choice of bulbs ready for the next stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a relief to even get to this stage. I hadn’t realised just how much it was weighing on my mind. I was going to go bulb shopping tomorrow but I now have to do some band related tasks (following the committee meeting) so bulb selection has been put back to later in the week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts