Saturday

I am relieved that yesterday is over and done with. Nothing went well, even the trip to the garden centre, but more about that later!

J was a no show with no text or phone call to cancel, so I feel a bit miffed really.  I know this was something he was doing as a freebie but it is something he offered to do so I'm disappointed that he's let me down. Anyway, I will do what I can in the garden over the weekend and then ask one of my nephews to help finish off. I went to the garden centre to buy the weed suppressing membrane and treated myself to a selection of plants, using the money available because I'd used nectar points to pay for my groceries. Here's my choice ...

heathers, 3 pink flowering and 2 white flowering 

armeria 'Ballerina Lilac' and some phlox

hebe

photinia 'Pink Marble'
another hebe
The trip to the garden centre didn't go well. I'd already paid for my plants and then went back to buy the membrane. I had the measurements to cover the three areas I want to deal with but the sales assistant couldn't be bothered to work out how much I needed to buy. He said to buy some prepackaged membrane which is an expensive way of buying it and when I queried it he said it was 'easier' that way! I explained that it was down to cost not how easy it was, and he pointed to the roll of membrane and said it was needed for 'other customers'. I reminded him that I was a customer and he said he couldn't sell it to me because it 'may' leave them without any to sell to other customers at which I said I'd go elsewhere and walked out.

I went to the builder's merchants on the other side of town and bought some there. They were brilliant and cut it into the three different pieces I needed, so it will simply be a case of laying it and covering with the gravel. I was still annoyed when I got home and fired off a complaint to the manager of the garden centre, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

So, today's plan is to lay membrane in one or two of the small planting pockets so that I can get these plants, together with some bulbs I've been given, in the ground today. If I can manage the gravel, that can go down today as well. That will leave the photinia to be planted in the larger bed behind the garage but whether it gets in the ground today depends on how much energy I have left. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. That is a disgraceful attitude from the "assistant" who refused to help you. I'm glad you complained and hope he doesn't get away with it. Your choice of plants, at any rate, will look great against the gravel. Good selection! I do sympathise with you having to go it alone when it had all been anticipated otherwise. I hope it goes smoothly. Take care and don't carry on if it is too difficult!! Here's to Saturday! (That said, I'm seriously considering going back to bed and hiding from the world myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just completed an hour in the garden. I hoed and levelled two triangular beds, put the membrane down and some gravel, then planted one hebe! I also untangled a ton of bindweed from one of the climbers (it comes from next door!) and pruned deadwood from one of the potted shrubs. It's too hot to be outside for long but to be honest, that was enough and I'm glad to be back indoors. I'll just have to take it slowly so I don't make myself ill.

      Delete
  2. PS Out of interest, which garden centre is it that takes Nectar points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the nectar points in Sainsburys to pay for groceries and then used the cash I didn't spend in Sainsburys to buy plants in the garden centre. I don't know of any garden centre that accepts nectar points, sorry.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick.

      Delete
    3. No need to apologise ... old age comes to all of us 🤣

      Delete
  3. Shocking service at the garden centre. Think I might have loaded a trolley with all sorts, got him to put it through the till then told him I'd changed my mind before paying as they might need it for other customers! Except that would have irritated anyone queuing behind me who didn't know the backstory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I was too shocked and angry to do anything but walk out. I'll use one of the other local garden centres from now on.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe that attitude. Just imagine at Sainsbury's. Sorry madam, you can't have those loo rolls, somone else might want to buy them! I hope your complaint is taken seriously because it's a disgraceful attitude.

    I love the plants!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he either couldn't be bothered, or didn't know how, to work out how much I needed to buy and what it would cost. I'm not expecting a response until after the bank holiday but it'll be interesting to read their response.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry J didn't let you know he was unable to be there to do what he had volunteered to do. Definitely a let down.

    I am glad you complained about the customer service at that garden center and took your business elsewhere! But, I do like the plants you bought! You did a lot of work in the garden! Do it in stages so that you don't get too tired. I am thinking I should get some of that weed blocking membrane for my garden!

    Hope the rest of your day is going well. Enjoy the long weekend (we are having a long weekend over here, too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overdid it a bit on the garden work so the rest of yesterday was spent relaxing at home. I was invited to a BBQ but decided against it and spent the evening alternating between reading and watching the TV.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts