Monday

After an initial positive start, yesterday morning turned into a bit of a pity party. I knew I had to get on with the garden but felt completely overwhelmed by what I had to do so I kept putting off getting started ... extra cup of coffee, do my piano practice before I got too tired, just check my emails (for about the sixth time!) ... you get the idea, and then the door bell rang. 

It was my neighbour asking if they could still have the bags of gravel I'd promised them, so out to the garage and they took what they needed ... it still leaves plenty for me and means I've started to declutter the garage! They'd heard me out in the garden yesterday and we chatted about what I was doing ... anyway, to cut a long story short my neighbour and his son moved the bags of gravel to position them around the garden, ready for me to use. They also emptied some bags on the front garden to top off the gravel there. This was the part of the task which was defeating me so thanks to their efforts I gave myself a good talking to and got on with laying the membrane.

I'd chatted to a friend last night who advised that the plants will be okay for a while as they are and that he thought my efforts were better directed towards laying the membrane and gravel as this allows me to stay on top of the weed problem. So that's what I've done this morning. I agreed with other friends who live locally that I'll do the large areas and they'll come next weekend and sort out all the edges if I haven't been able to get them done (as I still can't bend for long periods of time). I just did my agreed-with-myself hour and this is the stage I've reached ...


The centre bed still has to be weeded, some of the grasses moved, and the bark topped up but all of that can wait until the rest of the beds are sorted out. There are six bags of gravel left in the garage which my neighbour will move for me if needed.

I didn't do the skip run. When I spoke to K she said that they'd abandoned the idea when they saw that the cars were queuing back to the roundabout and the police were there trying to keep the traffic moving. That can be a mid week job now.

Plans for today include an hour doing what I can in the garden, then a shower and off out to spend the rest of the day with friends. 

Comments

  1. Sorting the weeds is brilliant at this time of year, and even though it's hard work, you will smile every time you are in your garden, just at the knowledge the weeds won't come back. I lobve it when paving is left along the fence leaving you pockets of small planting area's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be worth it when it is finished. I just have to pace myself!

      Delete
  2. What very kind & helpful neighbours - it is amazing what some free gravel will start (lol). You have made quite a big start to the garden. I hear you about the pity party, for me it's my heavy sighing party, which I just tell myself is proper breathing techniques. Sometimes we have to get that frustration out, so really it's just a way of taking care of yourself. Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbours are very good, always prepared to help out. I am very lucky with everyone who lives in the surrounding houses.

      Delete
  3. Hello Eileen,
    Certanely your garden will be worderful.
    Your neighbours are very kind.
    Hugs and a nice week.
    Ailime
    (Excuse me my poor english; I only try;))!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. Your English is very good so there is no need to apologise.

      Delete
  4. Eileen, you weren't putting off doing the gardening, you were just waiting until your neighbors came over to help you with the bags of gravel! :D It was kind of you to share the gravel with your neighbors and I am glad that they helped you, in return, by placing the other bags of gravel where you needed them. Looks like you got a lot accomplished in the hour you spent in the garden. Baby steps. It will get done, eventually.

    Hope you have a fun day with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice of your neighbours, that's how good friendships can start.

    I know what you mean about gardens and a pity party. Happens here regularly and I find the best treatment for the condition is to walk away. The following day rarely feels as bad. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts