Thursday

First the good news! I've been discharged from the retina clinic and no longer need to attend regular checkups. My optician will continue to monitor my left eye at my annual examination and will refer me back to the hospital if there are any changes to the mole on my retina, but they now think it isn't a mole and there is no risk of malignancy. My right eye will never get better but apparently my brain will learn to ignore the physical changes and eventually I won't notice the problem. 

The not so good news is that the Apple staff were useless! I seem to have become invisible at the age of 63 and the first challenge was to get one of them to stop chatting and acknowledge that I was waiting to be served. Once I did get some attention the aim seemed to be to get me to buy a new phone rather than discuss the issue with my current phone. The sales assistant wouldn't offer any advice and I'd have to pay a non-refundable fee for them to even look at it. Adding together that fee, a possible new battery and cable and it almost came to the cost of a new Android phone so I decided to cut my losses and went to Carphone Warehouse to choose a brand new shiny phone. Best decision ever! The sales person was extremely helpful, listened to what I wanted to use the phone for and offered practical advice. He even set the phone up for me so I didn't have the hassle of doing that.


I've changed my broadband supplier and today is the changeover so first task of setting up the new hub has been completed and now I have to wait for the set up at their end. 

I'm aiming for a quiet day today. It's cold and windy so I can't see much happening in the garden ... the sofa and cuddle blanket are calling me! I have a GP appointment this evening to see what my blood pressure is up to so am keeping everything crossed for a good result.

Comments

  1. No one wants to repair anything these days, it's sad how we got to a situation like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've found a local man who will try to get the iPhone working and then I'll sell it.

      Delete
  2. That is very positive news about your eyes. It's all very scary when they talk about your vision - Mr Man is still in ongoing treatment which sometimes doesn't seem to help him. :(

    I don't think it matters your age really with all these high tech places - it's all about the immediate sale, they don't care about retaining or helping existing customers. We have this as an ongoing issue with our satellite/telephone/internet provider. New customers get great deals, existing customers just keep getting higher rates & hidden costs. I think I'll come cuddle up with you, I've got a good book to read :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a much better outcome than I expected and I am relieved that it's another health relatedglitch to put behind me.

      That's why I changed my broadband provider - much cheaper and faster connection speeds.

      Delete
  3. That's great news at the doctor's! I am so glad for you. I'm sure you are much relieved.

    It's too bad the staff at the Apple store were so indifferent. Their loss as you took your business elsewhere.

    Hope your appointment with the GP goes well and the blood pressure will be found to be OK. Good idea to relax until then. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very relieved. My blood pressure is now back under control which is also good news but means that I have to continue with the combination of three different tablets every day.

      Delete
  4. Splendid news about your eye, I'm so glad. Frustrating about the phone though. The Apple staff should be ashamed of themselves (but I bet they're not)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I doubt it even registered with them. Still my new phone is better and I can actually read the screen without having to find my specs, so I'm happy.

      Delete
  5. Great news re your eyes. You must feel relieved. Apple are notorious about repairs. I have an Android, the staff are helpful. Sometimes I play on the old lady act, they sort everything out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am. I wasn't expecting such a good outcome from the consultation so am glad to put that medical episode behind me.

      The staff in Carphone Warehouse were extremely helpful, can't fault them.

      Delete
  6. Glad you received good news on the eyes. I just ordered and received a new phone because apparently it is not cost effective to replace the battery that no longer holds a charge. I spent an hour on the phone with tech help. I am 50% sure he solved the problem. I will live with the phone a few more days to figure out if it is me or the phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanne. Having had my new phone for a few days now I'm sure I made the right choice to cut my losses and buy new.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts