Lifestyle Goals: Monthly Review for September 2019

At the start of May 2019 I decided to change the way I want to monitor my short and medium term goals, choosing to adopt Bless' approach in my search for a balanced life; this is Bless' explanation:

 .... my monthly balanced life goals are similar to the spokes of a wheel, with the length of each spoke representing my satisfaction in that area of my life, from 1 to 10, with 1 being most dissatisfied and 10 being most satisfied.  Ideally, all the spokes are of equal length and the wheel will roll along smoothly.  If the spokes are of unequal lengths, then, the resulting wheel will be lop-sided and wobbly.  My current ratings for each segment are shown within the parentheses.  

Here is my update for September, stating my goals and the bullet-pointed task list that I'll tackle in during the month to help achieve the goal. Last month's ratings and tasks are shown in black and the start of the current month is shown in yellow.

HOME (9.5)(9.5)

Goal: The home is always clean and tidy.

It's just the remainder of the decluttering to remove from the dining room and then category should be marked at '10' and I haven't made any significant progress at all during August. Must do better!!

Tasks for September:
  • finish hanging the pictures upstairs - COMPLETED
  • measure up for a wardrobe in the small bedroom - COMPLETED
  • measure up for the picture frames in hall and living room - STARTED
Tasks for October:
  • focus on the remainder of the items to be decluttered


GARDEN (9.5)(9.5)

Goal: The garden is always tidy and presentable

The wet weather hasn't helped. I need a couple of dry days to get back on top of the weeding. 

Tasks for September:
  •  stay on top of weeding/dead heading as necessary  - STARTED WELL BUT THEN THE WEATHER WAS AGAINST ME!
  • water garden regularly during sunny spells - ACHIEVED
Tasks for October:
  • tidy front and back gardens 


FINANCE (10)(10)

Goal: I am financially secure and remain completely debt free

Ongoing monthly task:
  • continue to monitor spending and reduce expenditure where possible


COMMUNITY, FRIENDS & FAMILY (9)(9)

Goal: I take an active role in my local community, and have strong bonds with family and friends

As I live alone, it is very important to maintain social 'out of the house' interaction with others and I'm constantly looking for new ways to achieve this, particularly for day time activities.

Tasks for September:
  • continue voluntary work with the youth band - ACHIEVED, ongoing
  • try to meet at least one adult band member socially  - ACHIEVED
  • investigate the local free lunchtime/Sunday concerts - in progress
Tasks for October:
  • continue voluntary work with the youth band
  • try to meet at least one adult band member socially


EMOTIONAL WELL BEING (9)(9)

Goal: I have a positive outlook on life and am benefiting by avoiding bouts of depression and keeping my emotional well being at a healthy level

Again, it's been a struggle this month but I have reached the end of the month feeling positive with how things are going.

Tasks for September:
  • write a Reasons to be Cheerful post for my blog - ACHIEVED
  • actively start the day intending to be happy and enjoy life - IN PROGRESS
  • complete a daily joyful activity, with the focus on the 'little things' rather than bigger activities - ACHIEVED
Tasks for October:
  • write a Reasons to be Cheerful post for my blog
  • actively start the day intending to be happy and enjoy life 
  • complete a daily joyful activity


HEALTH & FITNESS (7)(7)

Goal: I lead an active life, benefiting from increased fitness and improvements in my general health

I am waiting for the results after the echo cardiogram and have a doctor's appointment in two weeks time. I'm hoping that he can magic up some way to stop me feeling so tired!

Tasks for September:
  • keep all medical appointments in September - ACHIEVED
  • go for a short walk at least three times a week - FAILED!!
Tasks for October:
  • keep all medical appointments in October
  • go for a short walk at least three times a week


HEALTHY EATING (8.5)(8.5)

Goal: I eat sensibly and healthily and am benefiting by losing weight and experiencing increased energy levels

I continue to eat healthily but am not currently monitoring my weight. I'll make a decision on what to do once I have spoken to my doctor.

Tasks for September:
  • use the Myfitnesspal app to monitor food - ACHIEVED
  • drinking 4 glasses of water a day - ACHIEVED
  • restrict the number of takeaways and meals out - 50% SUCCESSFUL (I didn't buy takeaways myself but friends treated me to takeaways when they visited ... I was just being polite!!)
Tasks for October:
  • use the Myfitnesspal app to monitor food
  • drink 4 glasses of water a day
  • complete bulk cooking to stock the freezer


LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL (7)(7)

Goal: I live life now, in the moment, and avoid putting things off. I decide what I want to achieve and I do it!

I constantly feel too tired to make any real progress in this category. I have plenty of ideas but now need the energy to get out there and do it!

Tasks for September:
    • regular music practice - 65% SUCCESSFUL
    • arrange two diary dates for every week in September to meet with friends - ACHIEVED
    Tasks for October:
      • regular music practice
      • arrange two diary dates for every week in October to meet with friends
      • arrange one day out 


      TIME MANAGEMENT (8)(8)

      Goal: I make best use of my time to lead a full and productive life

      I've had lots of lazy days during September but despite that, the important things are getting done on time without any procrastinating.

      Tasks for September:
      • continue to establish a week day routine, getting chores done in the morning to leave the rest of the day free - IN PROGRESS
      • keep all admin up to date - ACHIEVED
        Tasks for October:
        • continue to establish a week day routine, getting chores done in the morning to leave the rest of the day free
        • keep all admin up to date

        ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS (8)(8)

        Goal: I educate myself about the environmental crisis and make changes to my lifestyle to reduce my own carbon footprint.

        I've reached to point where I now have to use up existing purchases before I can buy the chosen alternatives. I have eliminated all plastic packaging on fruit and vegetables.

        Tasks for September:
        • focus on food items, aiming to buy all fruit and veg from greengrocers, farm shops, and/or farmers market to completely eliminate the use of any plastic packaging. Also purchase all grains and pulses from the refill shop. - ACHIEVED (for fruit and veg), ONGOING for other food stuffs
        • bulk cook and freeze a selection of vegetarian meals so that I can have three meat free days a week - IN PROGRESS
        Tasks for October:
        • identify how to buy meat and fish that is free from plastic packaging
        • bulk cook and freeze a selection of meals


        SUMMARY

        There is no change from last month in any of the categories. Considering how tired I have been I am pleased with how the month has gone and that none of the markings slipped.

        SEPTEMBER 2019

        AUGUST 2019

        Comments

        1. I'm so very impressed with your tracking of achievements for each month, such a colourful reminder of all you have achieved. I agree you were being very polite partaking (& enjoying) those take away meals - what kind friends. Your mug from yesterday - I like that, a lot.

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. One of my many Harry Potter mugs. Today I am using the 'I'm Still Waiting For My Letter' one!

            Delete
        2. Well done.TATT.That is me as well!We are out for a meal with friends tonight for a meal so I went for a snooze and slept for an hour and a half.

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. My trouble is that I just fall asleep without planning to take a nap. Unless I concentrate on something, then I seem to sleep!

            Delete
        3. You're doing so very well - good for you.
          xx

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. Thanks Joy. I genuinely feel things are getting better.

            Delete
        4. You did really well in September! I think it's great that you were able to maintain the level of satisfaction in all areas. I am hoping that October will be another good month. :)

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. I am determined to get the decluttering finished so that's the area I will focus on in October, at the expense of everything else if necessary. I'm looking forward to seeing your update.

            Delete
        5. Hello Eileen,
          You are a very disciplined person and have met your September goals very well. In October all will be well.
          I admire you so much.
          Have a good night.
          Hugs,

          ReplyDelete
          Replies
          1. Thanks Ailime. I live alone so I think that in some ways that makes it easier for me to stay focused and make the changes that I feel are needed.

            Delete
        6. Having just come from Bless' blog and reading her post and now yours, I find that I like this approach a lot. You two have inspired me to work on this, although maybe not until 2020. We'll see. Congrats on your very good scores, you are very focused it seems.

          ReplyDelete

        Post a Comment

        Popular Posts