Tuesday


The singing group meets in the Methodist Church on the far side of town for a 90 minute session and I loved every single minute of it. I did wonder if I was in the wrong place to start with as there were lots of people dressed as witches, wizards, devils, etc. but it turned out to be a fundraising night with a Halloween theme - in the photo above you can see two people, one with green hair and one with pink. I was sat next to two witches and felt very underdressed!

The group sings in three parts and last night concentrated on three songs - Carol of the Snow, Pavane for a Silent Night, and Fix You (the Coldplay hit). Michelle who runs the group writes most of the arrangements herself and the harmonies are glorious.


It was so well organised. We all had a copy of the music, which I was pleased about because some singing groups only issue the words, and then we worked on sections with Michelle singing each part through for us to follow. 

The group has its own website on which there are recordings of each part of each tune so members can practice during the week. I'm not sure whether practice is expected but I will be doing some for sure.

I'm not sure how easy it will be to get to know the other singers as there isn't really an opportunity to mix and chat but despite that, I will definitely be going each week. Did I mention that I loved every single minute of it?

*****

I don't have much on today so will spend some time on band related things. I'd like to do one trip to the recycling centre if I can fit it in but it all depends on how I get on ... I need to be home in time for G who'll be cutting my hair and making me look and feel human again.

Tonight will be a TV night. I've signed up for Netflix so will be choosing a film to watch.

Comments

  1. I love what I can sight sing of the pavane. Beautiful. It sounds like you have found an interest. I am deeply jealous! < grin >
    Enjoy the hair do.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have definitely found another interest and I am kicking myself for not joining the group sooner ... I've known about it for a few months.

      Delete
  2. Such a great start to your adventure, I can't hold a note, so it's not something I could join, but I do love to listen to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to audition to join so you could probably sneak in. 😁😁

      Delete
  3. Yeah for the success of finding a new adventure that suits your passions. You joined at the right time for you. I once worked with a man, who said the world's problems could be less if more people joined choirs. He believed that singing people cannot be angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singing is definitely a feel-good activity. I could feel myself relaxing throughout the session and have woken this morning with the 'buzz' of an evening's singing still with me. Yes, I'd have to agree with him!

      Delete
  4. That's so wonderful that you found yourself enjoying every minute of it! It's OK that you didn't join earlier. What matters is, you've joined now and you'll be returning. It sounds like a well-organized group and that would make it a great fit for you. :) I hope that, over time, you will have an opportunity to get to know the other singers and socialize with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking at the website and they seem to have some social events throughout the year so it may be possible. I'll see how it goes but I will keep going just for the singing even if the social side of it doesn't happen. I have other things on the list for enhancing the social side of life so it's not a problem.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you've found a group that takes the music as seriously as you do. And getting there a few minutes early can lead to chatting and getting to know the others as well. That's what I did the first few times I went to a new Bible study, and it worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Apparently there were quite a few people missing because of half term so there may also be some singletons like me which will make it easier.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts