One Little Word

Arriving at my choice for 2020 has involved a lot of brain racking, list making, and being totally honest with myself. The choice definitely hasn't been as easy this time as in previous years but as soon as the word dropped into my mind I just knew it was perfect for this year. The word I've chosen is:

SIMPLIFY

defined as ... to make simple or simpler, such as (a) to reduce to basic essentials,
 (b) to diminish in scope or complexity, to streamline, and (c) to make more intelligible, to clarify

In a way, I've already started on simplifying my life but without considering the decisions and the impact they would have in these specific terms. Two examples of significant changes that have considerably simplified life are leaving the band and giving up running the book group. My streamlined Christmas, albeit a result of illness rather than planning, is another example where the simplicity of the arrangements led to reduced stress with an increase in enjoyment as a result.

I've had time for plenty of thinking and am clearer on why I am making some of my decisions and on why I don't always manage to follow through with my intentions. Some of the reasons are too personal and/or relate to important people in my life so won't be detailed on the blog, but other reasons are simple to understand and are obvious with hindsight ... trying to do too much at once, setting unrealistic timescales, being influenced by the wishes of others (always an issue) ... I could go on, but you probably get the idea. The biggest reason is, I believe, that I have been making the decluttering etc. the focus of my life instead of fitting it in with the much more important business of actually living a full and happy life.

I have this poster printed out. It's on the wall next to the laptop so I have a constant reminder. Is anyone else doing One Little Word in 2020?

  
Source:www.clipartpanda.com/clipart

Comments

  1. Simplify is an excellent word!

    I have never chosen a single word for the year and I am not sure if it is something I want to do, but, if I were to choose a word, then, Simplify would be a good word for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone but I found it works for me and I've done it for a few years now. It's the brainchild of Ali Edwards so I can't take credit for the idea.

      Delete
  2. I love that word and before I read it, it had popped into my mids as your word, simply because that's what you have been working towards for months now, step by step, in so many areas.
    I must look up the link under the poster. I'm intrigued about it!

    Now looking forward to your reflective post about last year's word.
    Have a super day
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - it came back as page not found. Never mind.
      xx

      Delete
    2. It always amuses me how the right word eventually 'pops' into my mind. This one seems so obvious now but I won't scare you with my word association and thought process of how I arrived at it 😂😂

      I will check the link next time I use the laptop but I originally found the image through a Google images search - search on simplify, then on the images tab select clipart and scroll through the results - this image should appear.

      Delete
  3. I have never done this before, choosing a word to focus on for a year. Simplify is a good word to use and I may have used it myself if I hadn't already thought of one, which is FOCUS and that is because I have so many, many WIPs stretching back years that I would like to get finished.

    To help me FOCUS I shall make up a notebook, ruling it up weekly and list just six things to do, ticking daily when I have done something towards its completion, until one is done and then add another. As well as the old WIPs I have new things I want to do, so there will be a mixture of old and new on my weekly lists. Hopefully everything will be done by the end of 2020, or at least a big dent in them. Wishing us both luck and apologies for waffling on, something I tend to do I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered 'focus' last time but went for 'fulfil' instead. Good luck with completing your WIPs. Do you have a blog so I can follow along and cheer from the sidelines?

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid not Eileen. It all looks a bit scarey and a mine-field of technology, (something I'm not good with), so I haven't dipped my toe in - yet.

      I could let you know what, if anything, I have achieved in between your Simplify posts, which would motivate me to do something. If that is okay with you.

      Delete
    3. That's fine by me. I'm not sure how often I will do simplify posts but I always do monthly lifestyle goals review so you could comment on that one ... or any post, come to that. It'll be lovely to hear how you are getting on.

      Blogger isn't complicated and there's lots of online help available, plus there are always plenty of people working on WIPs you could possibly make contact with.

      Delete
  4. That's a perfect O.L.W. for you. I'm 98% sure on my 2020 word ... but I am ready to wrap up Focus which I've used for the last 3 years. New decade, new word. I like your word cloud to remind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. It seems so obvious for me doesn't it. I keep chuckling to myself at how long it took me to decide! I look forward to reading about your choice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts