Sunday

You were probably expecting this ... yesterday I made a start on simplifying an aspect of my life! I'm aiming to do something every day, not necessarily time consuming or strenuous, but one thing that will help me achieve my aim to simplify my life.

Yesterday's effort was a continuation of a task I started a couple of weeks ago, which is getting on top of social media and emails. I've been working my way through Facebook, Instagram, Goodreads, etc, and rationalising my contacts and groups in each one. It's made a huge difference to the amount of time spent each day reading through unwanted posts and I'm reaching the point where I've eliminated the ones that can go. The up side is that I now only see the posts I want in my newsfeed so checking social media is a speedy and cheerful way of keeping up with what family and close friends are doing. Effectively, I have returned to my original reason for using social media and this has cheered me up.

It's been taking me about 30 minutes most days and has been a quick fix to give an immediate result, highlighting the clear benefits of simplifying things. Social media is just about done and today I will to start on the emails ... unsubscribing from all unwanted emails, removing contacts, deleting old emails etc., which will probably take ages but needs to be done. As I work though the backlog of clutter  I plan to deal with all new emails once a day, which is easily achievable now I don't have the band admin to deal with.

It's an easy start and I can feel I am doing something without expending too much effort. I still want to sleep all the time! I don't know if this is a healing thing or whether I need to push through it. At present, I'm sleeping whenever I want so my normal routine is shot to pieces and at some stage I will have to get back to normal, preferably before January 6th when choir practice resumes.

When I do attempt to re-establish my weekday routine I plan to use the habit stacking approach to organise some aspects of daily life - for example, I get washed and dressed, after dressing I check emails, after emails, I do my daily music practice, after music practice I do the daily chore/errand ... and so on. I don't know whether this will work for me or even whether I will like the approach but it's worth a try. My hope is that all the chores and errands are completed in a couple of hours in the mornings to leave the rest of the day for all the fun things to happen. That's the plan anyway!

If you've read this far I'll apologise for waffling on so much. It wasn't my intention when I started this post but I am finding it quite therapeutic so will continue. I'll be over it by tomorrow so I will understand if you prefer to abandon this post and come back then!

The decluttering will still continue but with a different approach. I'm not making any progress with the last lot of 'big stuff' so there's no point in continuing in the same way. Some of it will go to the auction company I used before, and other bits I will contact one of the local auction houses or send it to the charity shop. Once all of that is dealt with I'll continue working through the house to decide what else can go. There are important decisions to be made though ... which hobbies am I finished with, which ornaments do I want to keep, etc. and more importantly, relating to everything I keep, how much is 'enough'. I'm starting with my clothes but will write about that in another post.

My 2020 diary dates for my special solo treats are coming together nicely. I've decided to arrange (at least) one special event for each month so that I always have something in the diary to look forward to, things like theatre trips, short breaks, day trips, and exhibitions. I'd also like to add one live music event every month, either solo or with friends, but I don't know whether it's feasible. I definitely want attending live music events to play a bigger part in my life than it currently does so I just need to find a way to make this work.

I have notified the band that I won't be returning so all that's left to do, once they resume in January, is arrange for all the remaining folders etc to be collected. I'm still in two minds about it, but for now this is the best solution for me. I honestly can't settle on what would need to change to encourage me to go back so I think it's unlikely I'll reverse this decision. With that in mind I'll have to decide whether I want to continue playing and look for other opportunities if so, or maybe just being part of the choir will satisfy my need to be involved in a musical activity. Time will tell!

Okay, that's enough for this post. Well done if you reached the end and now go and get yourself a well deserved hot drink!

Comments

  1. < sips fresh, hot coffee >
    That was all very interesting indeed and, I am sure, will bear dividends in due course. I think it is a coomon thing in retirement that one starts off worrying about not having anything to do and then realises that some personal decluttering is essential.
    I think you're right about the band. That was a very telling phrase about nopt knowing what would make you want to go back.
    And well done for sorting out social media!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorting out social media was very therapeutic and I think this whole drive towards simplifying my life will prove to be the same.

      Delete
  2. Well, you know that I love these type of "thought process" posts, so it was a pleasure to read through it. :)

    I think your wanting to sleep all the time is an indication that your body still needs the rest to recover from your recent illness. I wouldn't fight it, at this time. Give it another week or so and then see if you still need to sleep more and take it from there.

    I love how you actively plan to do things. So far, the only appointments on my calendar for January are two doctors' appointments and a blood test and the one appointment in February is also another doctor's appointment! LOL! I also need to schedule a car service in January. But, I haven't thought of any fun activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to have something fun in the diary otherwise I end up doing nothing. I have a whole list of medical appointments too, as well as the various service checks for car and boiler!

      Delete
  3. I'm drinking some lukewarm tea...
    Thank you for this post, which has encouraged me to attempt real and virtual decluttering, too.
    It's a good time for resolutions!
    All the best for 2020 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your decluttering. It's definitely worth the effort!

      Delete
  4. Wow you've really done some thinking and sorting through! I must admit that I don't spend as much time online as I used to. I only have close family and friends on my Facebook page but I do belong to a couple of women-only photography groups that can be quite busy but I don't read all the posts and don't feel guilty for not participating all the time. Instagram is my downfall, but I do enjoy looking at all the photos of other fellow (mostly amateur) photographers.

    I really need to start on writing down local events so perhaps I can go to a few more. I did get a nice diary/journal for Christmas with lots of space so I don't have an excuse for writing them down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been keeping notes of local free events, most of which have passed unnoticed in the past. I know I won't go to all of them but hope to do some. My special solo treats are all paid for now so, health permitting, I know that I will do and enjoy all of those.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with decluttering and other new year goals, Eileen.

    The other day I cleaned up my Google photo album. I take screenshots of recipes and then forget I have them! I also removed several pages and groups from my Facebook account. I don’t update Goodreads anymore. I spend too much time online anyway. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I'd forgotten about all my photos so I will have to add that to the list. I have thousands to deal with - I started transferring images to a new filing system but got bored very quickly and gave up but do need to finish it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts