Films

We’re off to watch ODEON Screen Unseen tonight (where you don’t know which film you’ll be watching until it starts). We were very lucky with the last one, which was A Simple Favour, so fingers crossed for a good one tonight. All that’s promised is that it won’t be a horror film, won’t be one of the big blockbusters (so it won’t be the new Fantastic Beasts film) but will be a film which they believe will be a future classic and won't have been released for general distribution yet. 

It’s been a good week for films. Last Thursday we went to see Bohemian Rhapsody which was absolutely brilliant ... take tissues if you get emotional when you watch films. I've always liked Queen's music but wasn't an avid fan of the group so only knew a bit of the story and this film filled in some of the gaps. Next time I go to the library I'll look out for a biography of Freddie Mercury, if such a thing exists.

Yesterday I watch War Horse, another emotional film although strangely it didn't affect me as much as the stage show did. It's worth watching if you haven't seen it before and again, have plenty of tissues handy. Some of it was filmed in this area and for once I could place the location - usually I don't! 

When this was finished I made myself a snack and then settled down to watch Hugo. I first watched this a few years ago and enjoyed it just as much the second time. It does get a bit emotional at the end but I think I was a bit cried out from War Horse, so no actual tears were shed this time!

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald will be released on November 16th so Julie and Lauren are taking me to watch it as a birthday treat. This is assuming we can find a date we can all make, something which is proving impossible at present!

Comments

  1. I'd love to see the new Fantastic Beasts film so maybe I'll make the effort and count it worth the cost!
    Have a lovely time with whatever you see.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Screen Unseen is always good value as it is only £5.75 per ticket, so at least half price, and so far we've only ever seen one that we didn't like.

      Fanatastic Beasts is a must - it introduces young Dumbledore and young McGonagall.

      Delete
  2. We were hoping to see Bohemian Rhapsody this weekend, life got in the way. Glad you give it 2 thumbs up. I'm not sure about Fantastic Beasts II, I was not a fan of the first one, maybe when it comes to TV movie channel ... I like your movie theatre's idea of screening good but lesser known films. Do hope you got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially didn't rate the first Fantastic Beasts but it has grown on me and I want to see the entire series, especially now that it seems it will provide a lot of back story to the original Harry Potter series.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are enjoying seeing quite a few movies, Eileen. I'm glad. My daughter, who is a huge fan of the HP series, will no doubt go to see the Fantastic Beasts movie, too. I believe she saw the first one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching so many films is a relatively new thing in my life. When my partner died back in 2013, going to the cinema was one of the things I felt comfortable doing on my own and it's grown from there. Your daughter has good taste!

      Delete
  4. I saw War Horse a year or so ago and immediately recognised Castle Coombe! And I dragged Liz there cos I saw it on your blog!
    Interested to hear what tonight's surprise was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This area is used for a lot of location shooting but Castle Combe is the only village I can easily spot in any production.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts