Friday 29th October

I didn't manage to do everything I'd planned for yesterday, but for good reasons. I went into town to get my glasses fixed but didn't bother with the planned shopping - I'd forgotten it was half term so, as it was much busier than I was happy with, came straight home and will try again next week. I used my shopping time to place some adverts instead.

I watched the Indian cookery demo showing how to make Chennai Masala Omelette Bread. This link will take you to a similar recipe but it's not quite the same as the one Monica made - hers looked lovely but I won't be trying it for a while, the reason for which will become clear if you read on.

There were more power cuts last night. Most were just blips and came straight back on but the longest was for about half an hour. Thank goodness for fully charged Kindles!

I'd planned to spend the afternoon finishing off the adverts but got distracted when the info for the healthy eating and weight loss pilot scheme arrived in my inbox. It was an interesting read! It's a 30 day programme designed to help me lose weight and fluid retention, balance blood sugar levels, reduce tolerance to caffeine and sugar (and alcohol but I don't drink), understand which foods do and don't suit me, and inspire me to create healthy habits and changes for life. Participants are supported by a nutritionist, a life coach and personal trainers via online sessions and a closed Facebook group. I don't know too much yet but there is an introductory session later this morning to answer questions and get us started. I do know that it won't be easy - for the first 10 days we have to omit wheat completely and I love bread, and white potatoes are off the menu as well! There'll be a goal setting session every Monday, workout sessions with the personal trainers on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and a nutrition session on Fridays - all of these sessions are specific to the programme so are in addition to the classes I've been attending for a while. I've received a timetable showing all the sessions and surprisingly there's only one clash - next week's piano lesson clashes with a extra one-off nutrition session. C was happy to reschedule the lesson but in the end we couldn't find a time that we could both make so have had to cancel, which is a shame.

One thing that is clear is that I will need to amend my meal plan for November. I won't do anything until after the introductory session this morning and then I may need to do a foodie shop. There is mention of recipe booklets so I don't know if some of the meal planning has been done for us or not ... we'll see!

Comments

  1. You are certain to lose weight if bread and potatoes are not allowed but my thinking is this plan would work better in the summer months. I hope you are able to see this through but it doesn't sound at all easy to me. What a shame you are suffering more power cuts, hope they can fix the problems soon whatever they may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the plan is based around the Mediterranean diet and there's not much scope for a decent roast dinner if you can't have potatoes! It won't be easy - the blurb lays that on the line and reminds us that if we keep doing what we've always done we'll get the same results. This is an opportunity to try a different approach and if it works, it'll be worth it as what I'm currently doing isn't giving the desired results.

      The power cuts are a nuisance but at least they don't last for long each time!

      Delete
  2. The bread omelette sounds a bit like savory French toast, to me! I guess you will have to have a breadless omelette, in the next few weeks! It sounds like the participants in the pilot program will be well supported! It also sounds like a rather intensive course requiring a lot of commitment from the participants. During the 10 days of no wheat and white potatoes, are you allowed rice? Can it be white rice? I hope today's introductory session will be helpful. Too bad you have to cancel one piano class, but, it's just one so that's good. Hope you don't have any power cuts, today. Good luck with the meal planning, too! I know you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love omelettes and think breadless ones will be considered to be more healthy! The recipe she showed us is a popular street food in Chennai.

      Yes, can eat brown rice and other grains but no wheat, It's to test for wheat intolerance and to move to whole grains that have a lower GI to help with the blood sugar balance. I'll start the meal planning after the introductory session. I won't have to change too much hopefully.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a really good program you have signed on for, I like that there will be lots of support on this journey, which will definitely help getting past the initial stages. I would find giving up bread difficult & I know that pasta would also be off the plan as it is also wheat based. I wonder if it is to discover gluten tolerance levels. The bread omelette for me would have to exclude almost everything but the bread & eggs (col). Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll know more later after the introductory session but the wheat exclusion for 10 days is to test ourselves for wheat intolerance, one of the most common food intolerances. When we reintroduce it on Day 11 and if there are no problems I think we can continue to include it in our diets. They will also test for dairy but I already know my issues with dairy so don't need to do that part. Yes, pasta is off the menu to start with.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts