Thursday 28th October

The good news? There were no more power cuts and no glitches with the broadband, so the online classes went ahead yesterday as planned.

The nutrition club was a look through some of the latest research. Of note for myself was a reminder of the DASH diet for controlling hypertension, which I have been attempting but need to be more disciplined. Also the benefits of including mushrooms in your diet, and the impact the highly processed foods can have on memory function as you age.

In the style class we discuss the best way to organise your wardrobe. It was a bit OTT for me as I don't have room for an additional wardrobe so I can't store my winter and summer clothes separately, and I don't have room for a chest of drawers to store all my jeans and trousers! All my clothes either hang in my one and only single wardrobe or are stored on shelves in the other cupboard, folded on shelves or in baskets as appropriate. It was all a bit Marie Kondo with rolled t-shirts and folded socks so I think I'll keep going as I am! 

I hadn't done too well in preparing this week's piano pieces but in the end I played better than I was expecting to. I did warn C that it was a bit hit and miss in places before I started and then wished I hadn't as I didn't mess up on any of the parts I thought I would, so it serves me right! Once the style course is completed (on 10th December) I may increase the lesson length to either 45 minutes or an hour. The current 30 minutes just feels a bit too rushed but obviously this change is dependent on C having the time to extend the lesson.

After lunch I placed a few adverts but to be honest, my heart wasn't in it so that's carried over to this afternoon. 

On to this morning and I have an appointment at the opticians to repair my glasses - screws need tightening and I want to have them adjusted as they keep slipping down my nose and are driving me mad! I'll hopefully complete my Christmas goodies shopping while I'm in town. Then it's back home for the Indian cookery - Chennai Masala Omelette Bread is on the menu today - and then I'll get on with placing the adverts. 

Comments

  1. I'm glad you had no more power cuts. All my trousers are hanging on hangers with clips and t-shirts are folded and my socks are in pairs but laid flat in a drawer. I'm with you Eileen carry on with what works for you! I hope you are able to extend your piano lesson as you sound to be doing so well and enjoying it very much. Glasses are a pain while wearing masks as we still have to do here in Wales in shops, mine steam up and slip down and I have a constant battle with them, I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing about the style course that didn't gel for me is that it seems to be aimed towards women who are still working and have a 'need' for work clothes and casual clothes and exercise clothes, etc., and who change their outfits two or three times a day! However the majority of the attendees are retired like myself so there's a big chunk of advice that hasn't really applied. I'm happy with how I store my clothes so it's one bit of advice I will ignore.

      They've adjusted my specs and, for now, they are staying in place. I think it may be due to the weight loss and my face being a little thinner, so I expect it will happen again. Yes, steamed up glasses are a nightmare so another good reason for me to stay out of shops!

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that there were no further power cuts and you were able to do all your online classes! I had a peek at the DASH diet - something to consider doing, myself. I think you will need to modify the style class's closet organization tips to suit your space! It sounds like you have things well organized, though.

    Well done on playing through your piece better than you expected to!

    Hope you are able to get your eye glasses fixed and get all your shopping done! I hope your day goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the DASH diet is easy to implement although every now and then I read the basics again and realise that I've strayed a bit too far and have to be more disciplined about it. I no longer have a sweet tooth so having to reduce/eliminate sugar is something I find easy but feel may be more difficult for you.

      I'm sticking with my current set up for how I store my clothes. There are two more weeks on the course and I feel we may have exhausted all the useful stuff and the remaining sessions are to fill the time - next week is how to shop for clothes!

      I'm pleased with how the piano lessons are going. I always play better in the lesson which surprises me but I'm happy with that because in the past, with other instruments, it's always been the opposite.

      Glasses are fixed but town was too busy so I didn't bother with the shopping. I'd forgotten that it's half term so will wait until the kids are back at school. I hope you have a good day too x

      Delete
  3. Oh wouldn't we all love to have closets that we can walk into with ample space for all. A friend turned a small bedroom into her walk in closet & I've been envious ever since (lol). Sounds like the piano lesson time is really paying off for you. The DASH diet reads as a doable life style change/eating plan. When you start reading the labels (I took a workshop on how to do that) you realize just how much sodium & sugars are hidden in our foods, even things like bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely to have a walk in closet but there are so many other things I'd spend the money on first, so I doubt it would ever happen!

      The piano lessons are going well. From now until the end of the year I am spending extra time practicing, which I'll have to do if I opt for longer lessons. If I can't be disciplined to practice for longer every day, there's no point having the longer lessons. I'll see how it works out.

      I think the DASH diet is easy to follow. I'm moving towards cooking everything from scratch to avoid all the added extras in the processed food. I still have a long way to go though!

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    Glad there were no more power cuts!
    I admire to you a lot, because for all these functions a lot of discipline is required. I don't know if I would ;))!!
    The clothing problem is common. The lack of space limits us immensely.
    Have a great afternoon.
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Ailime. I try to be disciplined and am getting better at it!

      I don't have very much space at all for clothes but enough for my needs and it works for me.

      Hope you have a great day too x

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear power cuts are done. My clothes are sort of organised (just because I don't have a lot of storage out in the open). I tend to change my summer and winter clothes, but that's as far as it goes. Nothing is rolled up or co-ordinated. I tend to wear the same (comfortable) things over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet more power cuts yesterday and today unfortunately!

      We were told that research has shown that the majority of people only wear about 20% of the items in their wardrobe regularly, so you're not alone. I tend to stick to the same few comfy things as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts