Saturday 2nd October

Here's something different to start with ...

Commissioned by Trowbridge Town Hall, co-created by Gavin Osborn and the people of Trowbridge. Filmed by Jamie McDine.

This video was created for the Future Arts Centre's 'Here and Now' project, celebrating the National Lottery's 25th birthday. This was one of 40 projects taking place in and around 40 arts centres across the country, led by artists and co-created with local people.


I recognise some of the people in the video but there's nobody I actually know well. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this snapshot of my home town.

M had to cancel her visit yesterday but is hoping to be here next week instead. She caught her eye on a rose stem on Thursday - the injury is to her eyeball and it looks really nasty, so making sure that heals properly has to be her priority. I also received the quote to replace the fencing which to my relief is very affordable, much cheaper than I was expecting. There are three different options so I will need to discuss the details and agree the best solution with my neighbours. Baby steps forward, but we are getting there!

The saxophone, a music stand, saxophone stand, and a large pile of music books left the house yesterday so that's one more thing to tick off on the list. The sale of the doll's house and saxophone almost pays for my share of the cost to replace the fencing so just one more big sale and I will have covered the cost without dipping into savings!

The nutrition focus was about supporting the immune system. Things you can do include regular exercise, reducing stress and encouraging a healthy mindset maybe supported by meditation, staying hydrated, eating plenty of fruit and veg, healthy fats and herbs/spices, and by supporting a healthy gut. Things to avoid or do your best to reduce include added sugars, stress, and lack of sleep. As always, I've just made notes of the things that are applicable to me - there was mention of supplements which I haven't noted and can't remember what was said, except that taking any supplements should always be discussed with your GP before starting.

This morning I'm hoping to dodge the promised raindrops and get out for a walk. Then it's the online choir and afterwards a Zoom lunch with friends which will be fun as E has hinted at setting an October challenge for us to enjoy. I have no idea what it will be but it'll be something else to look forward to. I have some photos to edit for a friend and I also have to publish my photos for the SPSH and my monthly challenge so will attempt to get that sorted over the weekend.

Comments

  1. Wow, the twenty five year anniversary of the National Lottery. I was there at the start being the manager of a retail outlet. I went to Aintree racecourse for the training session and it all seemed very daunting at the time. I will watch the video of your home town with great interest. I hope M recovers well as damaging her eyeball sounds very nasty. I'm glad the fencing quote is affordable for you and selling your items will pay for it, good result. I've never taken supplements, eat a healthy diet and they're not needed for most people is my belief. Here's hoping for another nice day as yesterday was fine and sunny for the most part. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it doesn't seem like 25 years does it ... I must be due a win soon!

      I hope M recovers quickly. It looks awful (she sent a photo!) and it must be so painful for her. Not nice at all.

      I'm relieved that the fencing quote is so low. I don't know yet when it will be done but the fact that it is so cheap means I can stop worrying about it.

      I've taken calcium and vitamin D supplements daily since my twenties, on doctor's advice as I don't eat dairy. I'm with you on the rest though and try to get everything my body needs through a healthy diet, although I may be starting Omega 3 tablets daily to help relieve joint pain.

      It's raining here and looks like it's set in for the day so I'm staying in the dry and will do an exercise video instead. Hope you have a good day.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the link to the video! I enjoyed watching it!

    Ouch! How scary for M to get pricked by a rose thorn in her eye! I hope she recovers from it, quickly and completely!

    That's great that the quote for the fence was less than what you expected it to be and that the sale of the doll's house, etc. will help you with funding your share of the fence!

    The nutrition focus on the immune system sounds interesting. I seem to be doing everything I shouldn't be doing and not doing enough of what I should be doing! No wonder my immune system is having such a difficult time!

    Sounds like you have a fun day planned! Enjoy your Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the video. I really feel for M and wish her a quick recovery. I know from experience how miserable eye problems can be so I hope she is a quick healer.

      It's an enormous relief that the fencing costs are lower than expected and the fact that I am able to finance it from sales of unwanted items has spurred me on to deal with the rest of the decluttering.

      Sugar seems to be the bad guy nutritionally whatever the subject being discussed and it always tops the list of things to avoid. Fortunately I have managed to cut added sugars out of my diet, just having the occasional treat, but I have a feeling that you would find that much harder to do than has been the case for me.

      Hope you both enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
    2. Sugar...I think I am addicted to it! :D

      Delete
    3. 😂😂 you have to have some enjoyment in life though x

      Delete
  3. I love that video, Eileen, thank you so much for finding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's great isn't it? My sister sent it to me. I had no idea that a video was being commissioned but I do like the end result and think it shows the town in a good light.

      Delete
  4. Thankyou so much for that video Eileen. I was born in Trowbridge, moving away when I was 23. So many familiar pictures from my childhood and teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it and it brought back memories for you. I'm following your blog now and will through through all your posts to catch up your life in Devon.

      Seeing the video has prompted me to continue with my photo project of Trowbridge which I'd planned just before the first lockdown but never started, so there may be other familiar places for you to see in future posts.

      Delete
  5. All good news apart from poor M. I hope it heals quickly.
    I take vitamin D but didn't see the need for any other as long as I have a healthy and varied diet.
    And I loved the clip, thanks. It looks like a pleasant place.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, and definitely yes to M healing quickly.

      I take calcium and vitamin D daily as advised by my doctor as I don't eat dairy and I've taken those since my twenties. Once the blood test has been taken during a flare up I will start taking Omega 3 to help with the joint pain, again as advised by my doctor. I agree that you have a very healthy and varied diet - mines healthy but I think I could do with more variety ... I'm trying to follow your example!

      Glad you enjoyed the video. I think it is a lovely town 😊

      Delete
  6. Loved the video, and the song is really catchy. What a wonderful project! I never knew Trowbridge was considered less desirable than other places in Wilts. I've been a couple of times and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the video. For some reason which I've never really understood, Trowbridge keeps getting knocked down as the poor relation amongst the surrounding towns. Part of the blame has to go to decisions made by the council over the years which has effectively made the town less attractive than it should be - the old ex-slums were pulled down whereas in other towns they were renovated and are now some of the more desirable areas and properties. Also, at one time Trowbridge had no night life whereas other towns made the effort and have evolved into really vibrant places with lots going on. Trowbridge is about twenty/thirty years behind in that respect, but, it is getting there slowly. We still have stupid council planning decisions to overcome - the biggie is that the town centre has effectively died while the council has developed mini shopping precincts in other parts of the town but they're just a bit too far from each other to make Trowbridge a place where you'd want to go for a great shopping experience!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts