Garden Update No 2

Danielle concentrated all her efforts on clearing the centre bed in the back garden. I felt so sorry for her as it was sweltering with no breeze and this is heavy clay soil that's over run with bindweed ....


.... but she did well and it's now completely cleared.  


We had a long chat about ideas for planting and Danielle is confident that she can get this part of the garden ready for September planting, this part being the centre bed, the gravelled area beyond it, and the narrow gravelled area to the right side in the photo. We've agreed that she will focus on preparing the ground, digging over and enriching the soil each time she comes while also working her way down the other side where the roses are to tidy things on that side.

We are working towards September as that's when a Wiltshire plant wholesaler opens his business to the general public to raise money for charity and we plan to be there, assuming it still goes ahead this year. I've been to one of these sales before and there are huge savings to be made so before that date we need to have settled on the planting scheme. Danielle will buy all the bulbs from her usual supplier because she is happy with the quality.

This all means that I can start planning in more detail. I need to measure up first so I stand some chance of working up a sensible plan. Danielle has made it clear that she won't over-plant areas like they tend to do on some of the garden makeover programmes so the initial planting may look a bit sparse until the plants grow. We're also putting aside part of one of her visits to discuss pots so I can get them ordered when the sales are on. 

The clematis will be moved in the September planting - I think that's what she said anyway. The plant is healthy but just looks pathetic at the moment!

I'll be sharing my ideas with you. That sounds a bit like a threat, doesn't it, but really what I'm asking for is all you gardeners out there to pitch in with ideas.

Comments

  1. Oh wow! You are starting off with a clean slate in that planting bed, aren't you? Sounds like fun! Was that crocosmia growing along the right hand edge of the planting bed (in the first picture)? Are you planning to replant the bulbs there or somewhere else? I'm looking forward to seeing how the planting takes shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was crocosmia Lucifer (the red one). Those plants have been lifted and have gone to a friend. There are lots more on the other side of the garden which need to be thinned out so they will feature on this side as well ... eventually!

      Delete
  2. It looks wonderful. How many of us have the opportunity to start over new. I'm so interested in what is to come.
    (ad I agree about the sparse planting - it doesn't have to be TV pretty straight away)
    Are you considering a water feature?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have ideas for a water feature on the patio but haven't settled on anything for definite yet.

      Delete
  3. It already looks neat. I like the part of choosing plants better than preparing soil, because it’s the hardest, but having good soil is the most important part. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choosing the plants is definitely the best part. I've been keeping a list of ones I know I like plus suggestions from friends, and now I have to make some decisions.

      I understand that preparation of the soil is important but I'm so glad I'm not the one doing it!

      Delete
  4. Danielle did well to clear & do a first turn over of that flower bed. I am another one supporting the "sparse" planting & I know from experience, a wise choice. A water feature or something that makes the sound of moving water? Some of the water bubblers are quite nice & easy to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a really hard worker and I was lucky to find her.

      I'm thinking of having a shallow dish 'pond' among the pots on the patio and possibly a solar powered feature at the house end of the centre bed. They really are just thoughts at the moment though, nothing has been decided so they may or may not survive the ideas cull!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like y'all have a well-organized plan. I look forward to see what gets planted in the various areas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, thinking through all the possibilities and the anticipation of the end result is the best bit, but I'm sure I will get as much pleasure from the finished garden as well.

      Delete
  6. Será um prazer imenso, acompanhar este seu projecto, e os progressos do jardim!... Parece-me um excelente espaço, com imensas possibilidades!...
    Beijinhos
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: It will be an immense pleasure to accompany your project and the progress of the garden! ... It seems to me an excellent space, with immense possibilities! ...
      Kisses
      Ana

      I'm very excited about all the possibilities!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts