A Garden Update

Danielle arrived as promised last Tuesday afternoon. Obviously I knew she was coming but didn't think about taking the 'before' photos until just before she was due, so here are some last minute snaps using the camera on my phone.

Starting at the front of the house with the triangular patch in front of the kitchen window and the line of hebes and lavender in the small strip under the living room and music room windows.



... and this is the back garden, looking down the garden from just outside the dining room



... behind the garage ...




... and looking back towards the house ...




We had quite a long chat about what I wanted and agreed that she will focus on weeding, preparing the ground for planting, moving existing plants and/or pruning where necessary. Most of the additional planting will probably wait until next year, except for more bulbs. Some of the plants in the pots need attention as well - the euonymus is totally confused by the weather and has already displayed its autumn colour and shed leaves, but I noticed that there is a second growth appearing. She chipped in with some lovely ideas and I felt she totally understood the type of garden I want to end up with - a cottage garden with lots of extra pots. I'd already made a list of plants I'd like and she added suggestions to the list but the final decision is still to be made. There will be a lot more pots, some of which I was going to order this month but I'm now going to wait - there's no point spending the money before I have to.

I wanted Danielle to start on the front patch which she was happy to do. This is what it looks like now ... 


The buddleia has been pruned right back and will eventually be moved to the back garden. I originally wanted it here in front of the kitchen window to provide some privacy but a couple of young lads keep hiding between the bush and the wall, so I think it will be better to keep the planting in this space to the heathers and other low growing plants. 

She started clearing in the back garden as well but I forgot to take any more photos and it's too dark and wet to take any now (I'm writing this on Sunday evening and will schedule the publication). She was here for two hours but we spend an awful lot of time talking, so I was pleased with the work she did in the remaining time. I think it's going to be a good working relationship.

Comments

  1. Oh, wow, what a difference. It sounds as if you have found a treasure there, Eileen. I'm so looking forward to seeing how it all develops
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly seems to know her stuff and her enthusiasm when she's making suggestions is delightful. I think I definitely picked the right person.

      Delete
    2. It really sounds as if you did. She's on your wavelength and that makes such a difference.
      xx

      Delete
  2. It's great when you can find someone who understands your needs and carry them out. I do all my own gardening, but my friend has a gardener who visit every other week, the joy my friend gets from her garden out weigh any cost. I often wish I could get someone in to make suggestions, my knowledge of plants are limited and knowing what grows in our heavy clay is great, I have killed so many plants by trying them in our garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heavy clay and it's defeated me as well but she seems quite optimistic. It's worth the expense as the problems with my eyes makes bending painful, the main reason that the garden has got in such a mess. I don't know much about plants but whatever I mentioned she knew the best way to grow it - some in the ground and others will need to go in pots. I'm excited about watching the garden in my imagination coming to life.

      Delete
  3. A treasure of a gardener! Encouraging that she listened to you, make suggestions & waited for you to think on about it. She certainly tidied up the front garden; & by the way, what are those boys up to - probably no good, maybe some prickly cactus in the front gardens or some devil's snare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I challenged the boys they said they didn't know it was my garden! I had a word with their parents about it and it seems to have stopped - there's nowhere for them to hide now anyway!

      I think she is a treasure - I was lucky to find her.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    I really liked your spaces. They are wide and the flowers are beautiful!
    You will have your home surrounded by a lot of floral beauty.
    Hugs and good week, healthy.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I'm looking forward to seeing the garden development.

      Delete
  5. First of all, I love the look of your house! I don't know if it is built of bricks or the brick is just the facade, but, we don't have brick houses in southern California due to earthquakes! I grew up in a brick house in Sri Lanka, but, houses in so. Cal are all wood frame, often with a stucco exterior.

    I was admiring your buddleia bush in the first photo (as you know, I am trying to grow one in my garden) and almost cried when I saw it cut down in the last photo! I understand why you pruned it, though, and I'm glad you are planning to relocate it to the back garden and not get rid of it.

    Looks like you have found someone who will work well with you and help you transform your garden into the space you want it to be. She certainly did a good job of cleaning out the front area! I'm looking forward to seeing your garden being transformed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brick house. I'm especially pleased that it is the honey coloured bricks rather than the usual red bricks.

      This variety of buddleia is Wisteria Lawn so it doesn't grow as tall as some other varieties and keeps the rounder bush shape. The flowers are pale lilac and droop to imitate the growth pattern of a true wisteria. If it doesn't survive the move I will buy the same variety for the back garden - I love it and so do the butterflies.

      She worked really hard, I was impressed by how much she did in the time. The front looks much better and can be left until I decide on the planting for that space.

      Delete
    2. I don't know the name of my buddleia, but, it does have pale lilac flowers. I must see if there was a plant tag attached.

      Delete
    3. I had the wrong name ... mine is Wisteria Lane, not lawn.

      Delete
  6. I look forward to seeing the process here. I can always use new ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting times ahead! I'm really looking forward to seeing it all come together too.

      Delete
  7. It looks so nice. You have a wonderful gardener.

    Oh those lavender bushes are so beautiful! I tried growing lavender several times, but Florida is too humid for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lavender. What a shame you can't grow it where you live.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts