Living Room Furniture

It's turned out to be a fairly busy week. On Wednesday and Thursday I visited local primary schools to run brass workshops, where every Yr3 child gets to play a brass instrument. The aim is to get new players for the youth band so fingers crossed for that. It's fun but tiring with the logistics of moving ten brass instruments of varying sizes from home to car to school, to car and back to home. I have another two weeks of this and already am wanting it to be finished!

My ideas for furnishing the living room have changed. I'm still buying the same mahogany unit for under the TV: this has been ordered and is due for delivery to the store by the end of October, but they will keep it until I am ready to accept delivery. I went shopping, armed with my leather colour swatch, to choose some armchairs but struggled to find anything suitable. If I liked the actual chair, I didn't like the choice of available fabrics or, if the fabrics were okay, the chair itself was the wrong shape or size. 

I did however find one range which I liked, was incredibly comfortable and which  included a snuggle/reading chair at my price. When I first started looking around I was hoping to get a reading chair but soon realised that they were usually £1000+ and way out of my price range. This one was only £599 and together with a matching 3 seater sofa was in the 30% off sale. Again, there wasn't a fantastic choice of fabrics so I've opted for a creamy beige linen effect with the same fabric in blush for some of the scatter cushions. This was a compromise on what I'd planned but if necessary I can always get them recovered in a year or two. When I placed the order it turned out that the price of the reading chair was incorrect and should have been £1259 but they honoured the ticket price of £599. I also chose a completely different shaped armchair to go with the sofa and reading chair which turned out to be the last one available so I bought their display chair at a £100 discount. With the 30% sale discount on the sofa and reading chair I've managed to buy all three pieces of furniture for less than the cost of the leather sofa I was planning to buy. I'll see if I can take some photos next time I go there.

I'm totally happy with my choices so far but now have to decide on the carpet. My original plan was to buy patterned chairs which would add some colour to the room but now all of the seating is plain in shades of cream/beige, so the room is in danger of looking a bit too neutral. I'm hoping to still have white walls as that's in keeping with the rest of the house and was planning on cream carpets in every room but it may be better to have a coloured carpet in the living room. Until I go to look at carpets I can't be sure so that is a job for next week. I also need to start looking at soft furnishings as that's the other obvious way of adding colour.

Comments

  1. Oh that does sound like quite the bargain - well done you! I like a neutral sofa colour because it is so much easier & less costly to change throw blankets, pillows & drapery. When I was told my living room needed a pop of colour, I advised that guest to dress brightly then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm thinking about a large colourful rug but a quick online search doesn't show any that would be big enough.

      Delete
  2. Well done on the bargains you found! I, too, like neutral colored sofas and chairs. You might be able to add colored cushions, knitted throws, etc. for color. Could you do the cream carpeting throughout and get some colorful area rugs for the living room (to go over the cream carpeting)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one possibility. I think I'm going to choose the cream carpeting throughout the house and then wait to see what it actually looks like before buying rugs and throws. There will be colour in the pictures as well which will also impact on the feel of the room.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts