A Day of Decluttering, Organising, and Quizzing

I slept for a good part of yesterday, not intentionally, but every time I sat on the sofa I'd wake up some time later! I worked on the jigsaw in between naps and am now about half way to completing it. I've ordered two more because I've made the decision that the current lock-down arrangement will continue for me regardless of what the government announces next week. I feel it is too early to relax any aspect of the current arrangements even though the media is reporting that it could start as early as next Monday.  

I watched some of Dr John Campbell videos on YouTube, an academic and A&E nurse, where he is discussing the current crisis. I hadn't heard about him until Mary-Lou mentioned his name so I had a listen and I like how he breaks down information and explains things in simple terms. Interestingly the graphs he was using in one video showed recent statistics which highlight the increased risk of death for people with pre existing medical condition, including hypertension. I was already aware of this so it hasn't come as a shock but hypertension is rarely mentioned and details are worryingly lacking in any official UK documents and/or government briefings.

I finished off the day watching Becoming, a documentary following Michelle Obama on her tour to launch her book of the same title. I enjoyed the documentary but am not sure I really learned that much about her but it has piqued my interest and I will read the book at some stage.

Today I woke really early so most of my 'work' is done for the day. I've already looked through a pile of music books to decide which can go and which to keep. So far most can go, so it's looking promising that I will complete the task properly this time and also an indication that I'm moving on with my life. I'm definitely letting all the beginner and tutor books go so that there is no temptation to resume teaching in the future. Well, with the exception of family .... I will teach my great nieces and nephews if they want to learn, but that doesn't count as teaching!

I'll look through another pile of books when I've had something to eat and then do a hour or so of sorting photo files but that'll be it for the day. I'm itching to get on with the jigsaw and I still have the 'curves' photos to take. Tonight it's the quiz with L (J can't make it this week) and once that's finished I'll take myself off to bed and read for a while. So another easy-ish day. 

Comments

  1. I guess you needed the extra sleep! Maybe it had something to do with the migraine that, fortunately, went away? My county (Los Angeles) is scheduled to start a phased reopening on Friday. Our new cases and death counts are still rising but, we apparently have the hospital capacity to accommodate the rise in new cases. People are still expected to maintain social distancing measures, etc., but, restrictions are being relaxed. I, however, will continue to stay at home! Yes, hypertension, diabetes, asthma, obesity, age - these are all underlying medical conditions that put people at higher risks of dying from this virus.

    I hope you have a good, relaxed day, today. You are making such progress with your decluttering! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an article about releasing lockdown too early (I can't remember where I saw it) but that contained a statement to the effect that ending any lockdown before coronavirus death are as near to zero as possible is effectively just saying that your chances of catching it haven't reduced but now the hospitals can cope! You're taking the same approach as me, although I may allow myself some walks around the village.

      In the UK, hypertension has been excluded from the list of pre existing medical conditions which class a person as vulnerable in contradiction of the WHO advice. It was recently added to the NHS list but classed as high risk rather than vulnerable even though more coronavirus deaths are attributed to it than obesity and/or diabetes with complications, both of which are on the vulnerable list. It doesn't make sense.

      I'm taking it easy for a while. I'm trying to avoid a visit to the doctor's surgery so am relaxing as much as possible and am starting back on calorie counting in an effort to lose weight.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed Dr Campbell's videos. He does make it easy to understand. With the biggest holiday, next to Christmas, May 24th weekend,our province is relaxing just a few things as in hardware stores & garden centres can open but with VERY strict social distancing rules in place. But many are choosing to stay closed & offering only curbside pick ups for the foreseeable future. Many (thankfully) shop owners see this as too soon. May 24th weekend (May 18th this year) is the start of cottage opening, gardening season & as Ontario doesn't get a really long summer season, our Premiere recognized if he didn't relax (not opening) some things, a revolt would begin. Cottage owners are now allowed to go to their cottages, but have been told, take your own food up, please do not shop at the local grocery store. The Marinas are not open so a lot of people still cannot get their boats out of dry dock. I am not rushing out any where yet - a 2nd strain of COVID-19 now recognized - no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news that the virus is mutating is extremely worrying.

      I think that's what will happen here. The PM hinted in Parliament yesterday that relaxing some aspects of lockdown may begin as early as Monday. If that's true I hope it is along the lines of allowing garden centres, DIY stores and recycling yards to reopen under strict guidelines rather than opening non essential retail places.

      Campbell's videos have clarified some things for me and I feel less anxious now. I'll keep watching them as he definitely makes more sense than the UK press!

      Delete
  3. I will still be distancing as much as ever I can. It's just not worth the risk, it truly isn't.
    I'm sure you must have needed that sleep.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't spoken to anyone who wants the lockdown arrangements to be eased and the general feeling seems to be that it is much too early for any form of easing.

      Yes, I needed the sleep and I've slept most of today as well.

      Delete
  4. You must've needed the sleep :) I hadn't heard of Campbell, but he is helpful. Thank you for recommending him. I'm subscribing to his Youtube channel. It's scary to think of a 2nd wave and mutations :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the credit for recommending Campbell must go to Mary-Lou @ Patio Postcards. I hadn't heard of him until she mentioned him yesterday. He is, as you say, very helpful in understanding all the info that's available.

      The thought of a second wave and a mutated virus is terrifying

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts