Friday

There are more signs that life is picking up, with leaflets drops from local businesses advertising their services and charity donation bags for kerbside collections posted through the letter box. Julie went back to work yesterday, and my nephew will be alternating between working at home and being on site. I feel a bit anxious about the changes and strangely, am feeling left out of things. I think it's because my daily routine won't be changing - there's no mention at all about when clubs and larger gatherings will be permitted, so I can't see an end to the current situation for myself. I know I am being contrary because even if clubs were allowed to restart I very much doubt that I'd feel confident about being involved yet?

I watched a new gardening programme yesterday, one of those happy discoveries found flicking through the channels. It features the wonderful Monty Don helping two families to design and create their dream gardens and as always with Monty there were plenty of tips and advice. One of the featured garden was a container garden which has given me loads of ideas and I'm busy listing plants and features etc. I like ready to discuss with D when she is here on the 9th. I can't remember what the programme is called but it's on BBC2 and this was the first in a series of six.

The meds are working their magic and I am feeling slightly better so will carry on with the photo files project this morning. A local IT company has asked for more old laptops which they then refurbish and donate to children who need them to support their education at home. I'm too late for this week but have contacted them to collect the three I can donate next week. I have lots of computer cables going spare so I will donate those as well, all of which means that another pile of stuff will be leaving the house by next Friday.

I'm reading Days of Wonder by Keith Stuart, which was recommended by the Richard and Judy book group. I started it yesterday and was hooked from page one so will be indulging in an afternoon of reading in the cool of the living room. This room is always noticeably cooler than the rest of the house so it comes into its own on hot days and there's always the fan if needed.

It's the choir quiz tonight and I'll hopefully watch the Bristol Old Vic's release of Messiah. afterwards, and then have an early-ish night. 

Comments

  1. Those Monty programmes are great, aren't they? He's so clever with his ideas.

    I think it's Hairspray this evening. I will watch that.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm watching Hairspray tomorrow.

      I like Monty and the way he talks to people and explains things. I thought both gardens were practical and fit for purpose for the owners.

      Delete
  2. I too have noticed that life is picking up speed again. I will remain hopeful that lessons of The Great Pause, will be applied once the initial flush of normal is worn off. We were told in a Zoom church meeting, don't expect to gather before September & it will probably be with masks! Thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the speed of proposed timescale to release lockdown that concerns me the most. There is no 'let's pause and see the outcome' before we move to the next step, the plan gathers momentum with phases only a fortnight apart. There is barely time to note an increase in infection as it almost seems to assume that any infection will happen within the first few days of each phase. It also doesn't seem to allow for the known delay in reporting new cases. At least I am fortunate enough to stay safe at home although I worry for my nieces and nephews and Julie's daughters.

      Delete
  3. Things are definitely picking up here though no shops are open yet (only curbside pick-up). I feel a little in limbo as all around us the states are opening and we are not. We see cars here all the time from other states come to visit. I won't be going to any big gatherings anytime soon - never was my thing so I don't miss that - but I do miss being able to just travel and get out further afield. Camping is supposed to open at the end of the month - unfortunately not before we were booked so our trips have been cancelled. Sigh.

    I am glad the weather is getting warmer - though it's been very wet and flooded here - but there are still a lot of people at the trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boris made it clear (for once) that the lockdown shielding and isolating continues for the vulnerable high risk groups so there is no change for me unless I choose to ignore the risks, which I won't.

      Will you be able to re-book a camping trip once they reopen?

      It's hot and dry here so at least the sunshine makes it easier for people.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear that the medicines are working and you are feeling better. Sorry to hear that you are feeling a bit left out as things start to open up, but, I would encourage you to continue to stay at home for the time being. Even with things opening up, the virus and its deadly effects have not gone away! Over in my city, things are opening up, but, I am not venturing out! Too many people are disregarding the required precautions such as wearing masks and keeping a minimal distance of 6 feet. I do have some upcoming medical appointments, though, so, I suppose they will be my first outings!

    I looked up Monty Don and although I don't have access to the new Gardening World program without signing up for some streaming service or something, I can watch last year's episodes on video. So, I shall do that! Thank you for mentioning it. :)

    Hope you enjoy the choir quiz tonight. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monty is brilliant on Gardeners' World so I hope you enjoy watching the programmes. The series I found by accident is called Big Dreams Small Spaces.

      Don't worry, I have no intention of going out for quite a while yet, although like you I have medical appointments which shouldn't be put off much longer as they've already been rescheduled once.

      I scored 59 out of 74 in the quiz and have just watched Hairspray Live, the musical so have had a lovely evening so far thanks.

      Delete
  5. Kerbside pickup for charity donations is a wonderful idea. We cannot even drop off yet, and I am sure they fear being unindated when they reopen. We have a couple laptops to be recycled too. I may call about those as I am sure they are still needed for students. We are taking our time getting back to normal, no need to be on the leading edge.

    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kerbside collection for charities isn't a new thing but had stopped during the lockdown. I was surprised that they had started up again as none of the charity shops are open yet. The kerbside collection is usually only clothes and household linen so maybe anything they collect goes straight to one of the companies that recycle textile waste.

      Delete
  6. Our state is opening up, but there are some things I am just not ready for yet. The gardening show sounds good. I'd love a way to fit a little water feature, a tiny pond or something, on the patio, but space is at a premium. I watch garden shows when I find them :) I'm glad you're feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering a water feature if I can find something I like. Monty Don always has such good ideas about planning a garden so I'm hoping he gives advice on water features in one of the other programmes.

      It feeling much better thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts