Enjoying the Bank Holiday

Yesterday was a Bank Holiday in the UK, moved from the Monday so that the 75th anniversary of VE Day could be celebrated on the correct date. In the end I didn't do anything different, except to watch the People's Celebration programme which included the Queen's speech to the nation. 

So absolutely no housework at all! I kept myself amused during the day by ... 

... continuing with the jigsaw puzzle. It's on the dining table so I do a bit (or try to) every time I make a coffee or am waiting for a meal to finish cooking.

... attempting  the street quiz. It's only 25 questions but was not as easy this week as it was all to do with makes and models of cars  - not my best subject. I came up with an answer for every question but quite a few were guesses!

... completing a crossword puzzle. They're easy to pick up whenever I feel like it and it doesn't matter if I don't finish it in one session.

... playing the piano, concentrating on the left hand part today!

... reading!

At 5pm I stopped what I was doing and switched the TV on ...
... to listen to the Downing Street briefing. I wouldn't class this as enjoyable but I feel less stressed if I keep myself informed so I watch the briefing every day.
Then it was straight up to the playroom to get ready for the weekly choir quiz ...

... playing spider solitaire while waiting for the quiz to start.

... answering questions on all things British this week. I scored 53 out of a possible 72.

and back to the living room afterwards to watch VE Day 75: The People's Celebration programme.

... and to listen to the Queen's speech at 9 pm. I loved the significance of the timing of her speech.

... watching By Jeeves, the Andrew Lloyd Webber freebie for this week. I only watched the first 20 minutes and decided it was going to finish too late, so gave up and will watch it later today.
I walked down to the end of the Close to return my completed quiz sheet and then caught the end of The Mash Report when I got back. I've never watched it before but one part made me laugh so much I couldn't catch my breath, so I will look out for it again.

I've just read back through this post ... seeing my day listed out like this makes it sound as though I have been constantly busy but it hasn't been like that at all. I've missed out all the coffee and meal breaks ... and the just sitting doing nothing bits ... and the text messaging with friends ... and the naps (morning and afternoon) ... and the listening to the radio ... and probably other things that I can't remember. It was a good day and today will be more of the same!

Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day to me! :) Loved all the pictures, too - a day in pictures, post! Hope you have a great day, today, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's how I spend most of my days now. The only special thing for the VE Day anniversary was the Queen's speech and the people's concert but I would normally have watched a film or a show instead.

      It's lovely and sunny today so meals will be eaten outside as a treat 😁

      Hope you have a good day too, Bless.

      Delete
  2. I too enjoyed The Queen's speech. Enjoyed all your photos of your day yesterday. Oh how lovely to be able to sit outside for your meals - enjoy that, natural Vit D is a good thing. We have snow falling & it is on the ground! No matter, it's a good day to have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow! In May! That's not good. We're promised cooler temperatures over the next few days but nothing like you have. I hoping it stays warm enough to still spend time outside.

      My vitamin D levels should be fine as I take it daily with a calcium tablet, but time in the sunshine is always beneficial to emotional well-being.


      Delete
  3. I also feel less stress if I stay informed :)

    I enjoy low-key days :) I enjoyed seeing your Day in Pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowledge is power, as the saying goes. By watching/listening to the info presented in a way I can understand I can make an informed decision on how I respond to the current situation.

      Low key days, just pottering around, are going to feature a lot in my life over the coming months.

      Delete
  4. A lovely day and the photos make it visually interesting as well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a busy doing nothing sort of day ... my favourite!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts