Wednesday

Even from the confines of my home I'm aware that life is changing following the relaxing of the lock-down restrictions. I see more people passing by on the street and there are definitely more cars about. Families with young children in the Close are leaving their homes more frequently, still in family groups and observing social distancing, but are now out for much longer and for three or four times a day. All of them are on foot, so they are not travelling to exercise, and one family carry an enormous canoe with them so I assume they are heading to the canal for their fun. I'm told that 'everyone' in this area is observing the two metre rule, so it's 'safe enough', although photos on Facebook and in the papers seem to suggest otherwise. 

Then yesterday the government announced that stage two of the easing of lockdown will begin in June, which is the phased return to school for certain year groups and the re-opening of some non-essential retail businesses. But ... their strategy is supposed to be underpinned by the tracking and tracing system which is still in testing and training for staff on the tracing side of things still hasn't been completed. It feels like they are racing ahead and will prop up their systems after the event instead of having them in place and working properly beforehand. It scares me.

I'm not feeling too well today. The underlying reason is hay fever which has triggered earache and severe sinus pain, and I think I may have conjunctivitis (rather than just itchy eyes). I'll contact the surgery when they open and hopefully get a prescription to help. So it's going to be a pamper day, no housework, just sleep if I need to or listen to an audiobook if not.

One thing to look forward to is The Shows Must Go On offering for this weekend, which is Hairspray the Musical. I know some of the music as I've played band arrangements of some of the songs but I've never seen the show so this will be a real treat.

Comments

  1. Again, my sympathies, it really is no fun at all. The ointment I used to be given did the trick rapidly.

    I've seen Hairspray - about half the school staff went on a coach to watch it. It's a great show and I hope it comes over well on the small screen too.

    I have to admit, I am starting to ease off just a very little bit. I'm meeting a friend for a walk on Thursday and Dad is making noises about me coming over again. I'll see what the updates say but I'm still being very, very cautious. I now have a supply of masks and some gloves should be arriving in the next few days. Until they do, I'm using my winter cloves when I go shopping, etc.
    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have some ointment and antibiotics so should soon feel better.

      I think people are starting to relax a little. Expanding your social circle a little with all the necessary care and precautions is a more sensible approach than the government's economy, rather than health, driven proposals. We were talking about the non-essential shops in town re-opening and simply can't see, with one or two exceptions, how they can possibly operate and observe the social distancing requirements.

      Delete
  2. Oh Eileen those things hayfever is doing to you ... come on Mother Nature let's be a little kinder. I think worldwide everyone is taking a mile with those inch lifts of the restrictions. Our provincial premiere said he is disgusted by some & said, if the numbers go up, even slightly, he'll be locking things down again. Let's see if people start thinking of the whole rather than the individual ... the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the one, quoting Mr Spock. Pamper on my friend, pamper on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have magic medicine all delivered to my door (amazing service) and will feel better very quickly.

      I'm not against the restrictions being eased as life has to resume at some stage, but feel strongly that they are going too fast. The government is saying that they listen to the scientists but are completely ignoring the worldwide scientific advice that it is too much too soon, especially the re-opening of schools. Now they have brought the immediate threat under an element of control is seem to be more about restarting the economy rather than prioritising health.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry to hear how badly the hay fever is affecting you, but, glad to read in the comments that you now have medications to deal with it! I hope you'll feel better, soon!

    Yes, further restrictions are being lifted, as of today, in my city, too! Now, retail shops are allowed to open to allow customers in (earlier, it was only deliveries and curbside pick ups). Houses of worship are also allowed to open, provided they only operate at 25% of capacity or up to 100 people, whichever is smaller. Places like hair and nail salons are not opened, yet, and people are complaining about that! I shall continue to stay home! The only places I plan to go to in June are a couple of doctors' appointments and lab tests and, maybe, the bank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will continue to stay at home as well, with the occasional drive out for a change of scene. The crazy thing is that all these businesses will be allowed to reopen but we still can't visit our families.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts