Me On Monday

Me on Monday is feeling much better and is ...

... expecting a delivery of groceries from the supermarket this afternoon. I placed the order earlier than necessary, simply because I was fortunate to get a home delivery slot. If the entire order arrives I will be able to manage for about 6 - 8 weeks, assuming I can get a vegetable box delivery in about 3 weeks.

... also expecting a visit from a roofing company to quote for repairing the lead flashing around the chimney. I think part of the flashing may have come loose during one of the big storms in December or January  but it's now almost detached, so needs to be repaired as soon as possible. 

... pondering on the proposals for relaxing the lock-down restrictions which Boris announced last night in a speech that was vague and raised more questions than answers. The plan, if you can call it a plan, feels rushed and the practicalities haven't been fully thought through. Until I learn otherwise I am assuming that the existing lock-down arrangements will continue for the high risk groups.

... also pondering on how I feel about leaving the house occasionally for a walk. It's not the walking part but the risk level as I am in the group that's supposed to stay at home. If I choose the time and route carefully I think it is a relatively low risk activity that provides plenty of benefits. The easing of the lock-down allows for people to spend unlimited time out of the home for exercise from Wednesday and also permits driving to other locations, so driving to somewhere that's likely to be free from people is also an option.

.. celebrating Ced's birthday week as best I can. His actual birthday would be tomorrow, the 12th, and if he'd lived he would have been 81. I always do something special during this week in celebration of his life, but my planned stay in a cottage by the sea has obviously been cancelled. Instead, I will make the effort to have a special time here with a couple of takeaways, trips to the theatre (you can never have enough of those!), and reminiscing with friends and family.

... also celebrating that I lost two pounds last week. This was intentional, not accidental, as I am focusing on reducing portion size, and I want to start doing some regular exercise again. 

... hoping that choir practice isn't cancelled tonight. The Sunday sing-along didn't happen because M, the choir leader, is having problems with her digital piano but she has a service engineer looking at it today so fingers are crossed!

Comments

  1. I call it style over substance and it worries me more than anything else has done over these last months.

    Well done on the weight loss and thinking of you during this emotional week.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week is going to be chaotic following the call to return to work with only a few hours notice and I wouldn't be surprised if the second spike in new cases happens immediately. The practicalities in the workplace and in terms of childcare haven't been thought through, and the new tracking system hasn't been tested and rolled out yet.

      Delete
  2. I think, the behaviour fatigue is settling in everywhere & the governments know that they have to do something so that there is some control about returning to "normal" life. I think planning for some walks is a great idea - a change of scene is so helpful to mood, at least I know it is for me. I wonder if there are any travel uTubes that include sea side visits, that might be an idea to celebrate Ced's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's any element of 'control' that is sadly lacking in the latest UK update . Pictures of people on the London underground this morning highlights the danger of the lack of details with the trains crowded and no attempts at social distancing.

      I'm still debating on going out for walks - can't decide where to go to be safest!

      We're going to have a Zoom party to celebrate his birthday tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. We're reopening too soon, too, and I'm hoping it doesn't result in increased cases :( A walk outside does have health benefits if you can maintain the distance. It depends on your neighborhood, I guess. Parks here are said to be too crowded, so I'm still staying in. But I do have a patio.

    Congrats on your weight loss. I think most people are gaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a patio so can be outside safely which is one of the reasons why I am dithering. I intend to wait until the government has clarified exactly what is supposed to be happening! There are wide pathways around the village, the canal is about five minutes walk away, and fields with public footpaths and bridleways about ten minutes walk away, so I have plenty of choice. I understand from neighbours that people in this area are being considerate about maintaining appropriate distances.

      Thank you - I was gaining weight which is why I decided to watch how much I was eating!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your weight loss, Eileen.

    Restaurants, beaches and many other places are now open here. I don’t plan to go to anywhere except to the store when it’s absolutely necessary for another month or so. There’s a considerable percentage here that do not wear masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think a lot of people are scared of going out, myself included. I think the UK is relaxing the lock-down too early and a few more weeks would have made all the difference.

      Delete
  5. I think, as long as you can walk around the paths closest to you for right now, and wear your mask and try to maintain the required social distancing, you'd be OK. But, personally, I'd stay in my backyard, for a few more days if possible.

    I hope your grocery delivery goes well and includes all the items you wanted. Congratulations on the weight loss! I hope you do have choir practice today and tomorrow's Zoom party to celebrate Ced's birthday will be a good one. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not venturing out yet. I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks and then decide.

      The grocery order arrived and nothing was missing so I have plenty to live on for the next six weeks at least.

      We had choir practice as normal so that was a relief. I'm writing this on the 12th so can say that the zoom party was a success. 😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts