Five on Friday

 
It's Five on Friday time again and this week I'm waffling on about a few things that are on my mind!

One | Seeing my final selection of photos for the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt has made me think about the way I store and view my photos.  The selection of photos is a lovely reminder of a fun packed summer; exploring my neighbourhood, two trips to Bath, a visit to Nunney, a visit to a wildlife park, four trips to London, a visit to Lymington and time spent with friends. Seeing them collated together like this has made me reconsider the benefits of scrapbooking and whether it's the way forward for me.  If I did choose to go down that route I think I'd be more likely to choose a digital option and then purchase a photo book of the layouts at the end of each year. Still thinking about it though, so if anyone can point me to some good digital scrapbooking sites I'd be very, very grateful!
 
Two | I want to buy a dresser for the dining room but have been looking for one ages without success, so I've been re-thinking what to do in that room.  I went out for lunch with friends today to a local farm shop café and, whilst we were there we had a look around their new furniture shop and I saw exactly the dresser I was looking for.  The one on display was way too big but there was a sign saying that the dresser could be made to your own design.  So ... now I have to decide whether to go back to plan A with the dresser in the dining room or do I stay with plan B which involved adding some more kitchen units.  I don't know is the answer, but I will get a quote for a dresser to see how much it'll cost ... that may help with the decision!
 
Three | I've been looking ahead to things I can do once I have more free time and one of the options is to take up yoga.  This is the therapeutic yoga I'm thinking of doing but I still need to do some research on it.  It will hopefully help reduce my blood pressure but it also has to be something that is easy on my joints; the pain I have in my shoulder joints is one of the reasons prompting an early retirement.  However, I don't know whether yoga is easy on the joints or not and I'm getting conflicting advice from friends.  I'll speak to the person who runs these classes but any help you can give me on this will be very much appreciated.
 
Four | I'm going to have more free time, so am wondering whether to restart the photography degree I'm enrolled on; it was suspended indefinitely when my partner reached the end stages of life, and since then I haven't really been interested in continuing with it ... until recently.   I've thought (and said) a few times that I'm going to start again but I never do, and I'm not sure why or what makes me feel that now is the right time.  I really I can't make my mind up so maybe I'm overthinking it, and should just get on with it!  However, I do feel it is time to decide one way or the other and then stick to my decision.
 
Five | I'm planning how to celebrate my 60th birthday later this year.  I'll be doing things with family and friends but I'd also like to organise something special for myself as a way of marking my birthday and retirement.  So far I've decided on a stay in London with tickets to see Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera but I don't know what else ... except that I know there will be something else and that I'd like it to be something I wouldn't normally do on a trip to London.  Any suggestions please?

If you've got this far, many thanks for listening to me waffle on!  And big thanks to Amy for organising this weekly link up.

Comments

  1. Yes, if you fancy it go back on the photography course, it's good to do something for yourself. So many things to do in London, Kew gardens are stunning, great for photography too. I love liberty the shop, so decadent just to wonder around. The portrait gallery just of Trafalgar Square is a great one, I love it there, but whatever you do you will have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos for the scavenger hunt, you should take up that photography degree again. Where did you find that restroom with the flowers? So many choices for the future, it's difficult to decide. There is so much to see in London just wandering around. St Katherine's Dock by the Tower of London is very pleasant, there's a good view from Primrose Hill and the Barbican is interesting too. So many places! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The restroom was in Dobby's garden centre at Shepton Mallet (UK). All of their garden centres have these flower urinals, and flower sinks in the ladies, but they are different at each of their sites.

      Delete
  3. Re. the yoga. I did it for a time and found it strengthening and relaxing, without being overly energetic in the usual sense. I know there are different kinds and some are very intense (though obviously not the one you've linked to). Our teacher always asked about injuries and problems, and adapted poses for individuals if necessary. I don't know if that is any help! One person I'm sure would be glad to talk to you about it is Deb at Paper Turtle (http://paperturtle.blogspot.co.uk/). She's a yoga teacher and evangelist! Her contact email is on her profile.

    As to the dresser - ordering bespoke furniture sounds exciting! If you have decided against moving, I'd go for that. (Or move and then do it!) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made mini books of last summer's Scavenger Hunt and your Winter Scavenger hunt( 2014). It is a handy way of recording the finds and they certainly get more attention that way. In fact I finished the Winter one only last weekend! It now sits in the 'study' ready to look through whenever I fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just popped over from Amy's blog. I am currently debating about joining a camera club. I went along a couple of weeks ago as a visitor but their photos were amazing which is making me feel a little inadequate with my photography. London is great for a birthday celebration. I went there for my 50th and had an amazing time. Hope you get sorted with your dresser. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. It's so nice to meet you. I think it's a great idea to continue with your photography. I do hope the yoga helps with your arthritis. My husband suffers from arthritis but after moving to hot and dry southern California it has gotten a bit better. Wishing you a great weekend, Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the shoulder pain is due to injury and not arthritis and I don't want to do anything that'll make it any worse.

      Delete
  7. That is fun that you are thinking ahead of how to make your 60th birthday special! I liked the ideas you listed here. Its neat too that you are thinking about how you'll spend your days once you officially retire and have some interests already lined up to potentially pursue.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both my husband and I retired early, my husband due to ill health but we often say we don't know how we found time to go to work. We fill our days easily with hobbies so maybe the photography course could be a good thing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mention that you're anticipating more free time in your life ... me too! And I'm so looking forward to spending more time writing and blogging. I have some photo projects I'd like to work on -- my garden photos, a little memory book about my grandmother with pics of the family treasures that were once hers ... things like that.

    It's a pleasure to 'meet' you and I've enjoyed my wee visit to your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could think about Pilates as an alternative to yoga? My Pilates teacher is very aware of the various needs of everyone in the class and makes sure everything we do isn't going to make anyone worse. I enjoy it very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have lots of plans and possibilities of things coming up! Lots to look forward to! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. The photography course sounds perfect- your photos are already gorgeous but I am sure there must be more to learn which will interest you further.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started yoga when our YMCA offered afternoon classes for mature women and it has honestly helped to keep me feeling good and toned. Obviously whichever type we did was modified as the majority of women were 60+ and I continue to do it alternately with weight training.
    Picking up the photography where you left off would be something to do for yourself and it would offer a goal to achieve.
    I'm visiting from Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts