Thursday

Let's talk about food!

Some of you may know that I've started looking at Slimming World (SW) as a lifestyle change in the hope that I will be able to lose all the excess weight I'm carrying around. I decided on a gradual change to the SW plan, partly because I have home-cooked meals in the freezer that aren't particularly SW friendly but that need to be eaten up, but mostly because I want to avoid triggering migraines which I know can happen in response to changes to my diet. 

So far I've been concentrating on eating a bigger breakfast and setting myself up for the day; that's been happening for most of this month. Towards the end of last week I also started eating a SW friendly meals as my main meal of the day. This hasn't been every day as I've alternated with the freezer meals to get them used up. 

today's breakfast: two scrambled eggs (no milk added, just a little salt and some black pepper for seasoning) 
and two slices of wholemeal bread (no butter)

Yesterday I looked back over what I've been doing and have settled on a couple of things that need sorting. I definitely have to plan my meals (or at least until I'm sure that I understand the SW plan properly) as, looking back through my food diary, it is easy to see how a small tweak would have meant that I was fully on plan. The same applies to my home-cooked freezer meals; small tweaks will make them SW friendly without impacting on the taste, so that's a simple fix next time I do some bulk cooking. SW may also have a knock-on effect on how and when I do the food shopping.

I'll continue on the two daily SW meals for the time being with the aim of being 100% on the plan by the middle of April. The main thing I need to sort out is some micro meals for the freezer to eat after I've had a bad migraine and/or when I've taken medication to try to prevent one developing. It's going to take some thinking about but won't be impossible to come up with ideas. 

Until then, I'm just going to feel chuffed that I weighed myself this morning and have lost 2lbs! 

Comments

  1. Congrats on those lost 2lbs - slow starts are best for long term goals. It sounds like you have this well in hand with the planning. I most weeks/most days meal plan & shop to that plan once a week. Being vegetarian (not Mr Man), I'm trying to introduce more legumes & less carb. Most of my pre-packaged soy comes with a bread/crumb coating so I've been peeling that off after baking. Small changes. I'm blaming winter for my poundage increase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping for 1lb to 2lb loss each week - slow and steady suits me as long as I’m losing weight and start feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Really, all it takes is little tweaks. It really has to work with you rather than you working with it, if it's going to be long term.
    Two pounds is great; really well done.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally my diet is fairly SW friendly. It’s just the third of a plate of speed that I need to get used to, and reduce the amount of bread I eat - that’s going to be the tester!

      Delete
  3. Yay on the weight loss. It is amazing what a few small changes can do. But you are correct in that you have to plan, because if you are not surrounded by good choices, you fall back to grabbing something quick and easy, which is almost never lean and healthy. Wishing you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m pretty good at sticking to the right stuff because of food allergies and being strict about not having temptations in the house. I tend to bulk cook so there is always something suitable in the freezer but I now need to be organised about the fresh fruit and veg side of things.

      Delete
  4. I need to walk more, but it's always the same at this time of year, in the winter months it's far to easy to stay inside. We have always used low fat and sugar and ate healthly, the problem is when I need to lose weight it's hard to cut back any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve decided on having a reason for walking so am considering trying geocaching to see if that encourages me to get moving.

      Delete
  5. Congrats! I need to lose some weight. I am trying to be more conscious of what I am eating, I often eat without being fully aware (eg eating three biscuits whilst waiting for the kettle to boil) it's the extras I need to stop. A woman at my craft group lost six stone on the Slimming World diet! Luckily I have much less to lose!!! Good luck with your diet plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s why I don’t buy biscuits 😂

      Last time I did SW (years ago) the plan was very different but I lost quite a bit of weight so I’m hopeful it will work for me this time.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the weight loss! Your breakfast looks good! It's good that you only need to do some tweaking to your current meals to make them more SW friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the restrictions with things I can’t eat due to allergies actually put me in a good position to start Slimming World. I cook from scratch so avoid processsd foods and dairy as much as possible, so I don’t have to make quite as many changes as others do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts