Monday

My trip to Lacock has had to be postponed, but for a good reason. I've had a response to one of the adverts and that person is coming to look at the item this morning ... fingers crossed for a sale! She's coming by 1pm, by which time it will be too late for me to get to Lacock, take the photos, and get back in time for the first session of teaching, so I've had to rethink my joyful activity for today. 

I've been trying to come up with a list of ideas and some of the ideas on the list relate to existing hobbies/interests that I never seem to find the time for. One of these is the family tree research, so that's my chosen activity for today - it jumped out at me when I was reading through the list. The starting point is to tidy up some of the entries and at the same time refresh my memory of what's been done so far. I've been working on it since breakfast and when I stopped for a coffee, I was surprised to see that nearly two hours had passed. Time flies when you're having fun! 

I need to stop for now as I have to prepare some stuff for the band music team meeting tonight; it's just printing out a few things and making some notes - about 30 minutes maximum. Then I'll have some lunch and afterwards, will make a start on tidying the patio.

This is what it looks like before I've done anything ...


The table keeps getting moved (by others, not me) and is edging its way further down the garden! My plan is to deal first with the pots by the trellis in the second photo and move them over to the other pots near the garage door. That will hopefully leave enough space for the garden furniture to fit in front of the trellis. I say hopefully because there has to be enough space for the French doors to open fully but I can't work that out in my head, so will need to move everything and then actually open to doors!

Comments

  1. OK, I'll ask a strange question . . . do you actually ~need~ all four chairs out all the time? I know you have friends visit but could two of the chairs live in a garage most of the time? Or could you get rid of two and replace with two folding ones which could live on a hook on the wall until you need them?

    Or what about this? Move every single pot out of the way. Put the table and chairs where you want them and where it feels natural to walk to. Then put the pots back in whatever space is left??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have folding chairs in the garage for additional seating when family visit so I don’t want to ge getting rid of any chairs. Most days during the warmer months three of the seats will be used daily so I really want them out and ready for use. Once the garage is decluttered I will move the wheelie bins inside out of the way and then the bench seat will be moved to the end wall of the garage.

      The table and chairs used to be right outside the living room and that’s what I wanted to change, so effectively I have swapped the pots and furniture around and I think the new arrangement will work.

      Delete
  2. Well that sounded like a very joyful time searching in your family tree. I know what you mean about moving patio furniture around & around until it feels right. We took years to find the perfect arrangement for ours & now I cannot imagine it any other way. We used an angle layout, so everyone sitting gets a good view of the garden & each other. You'll find your sweet spot soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the research on the family tree to be very rewarding and it fascinates me as I discover each new addition.

      Delete
  3. Glad you've got some bites on your adverts! Good luck on researching the family tree. I started, but have been a little discouraged as I came to a dead end. My husband's aunt is so good at the whole genealogy thing. She started doing it after she retired and she's got their family tree way back with lots of additional research. I'd be happy knowing just a little bit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky enough to get back to 1595 on one branch of my maternal line and to 1640s (so far) on the other branch. I'm not doing too well on my paternal line though as I can't get started on one branch and the other is only back to 1750 so far.

      Delete
  4. I think it's good that you are pursuing the joyful things. The patio looks a great place to sit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very sheltered and not overlooked. It's shady in the morning and later in the evening but too hot and sunny during the afternoon so I need to invest in a patio umbrella this year, assuming I can find one at a reasonable price.

      Delete
  5. I hope you had a lovely visit with your friends, yesterday (Sunday). The family tree research sounds like a very fun activity. One of my cousins' husband researched my mother's side of the family; I would like to know a little bit about my father's side, too. Maybe something I can look into.

    Your patio seems like a nice, secluded place. I hope you have fun figuring out the right arrangement for your patio furniture. I should buy myself some new patio furniture, myself (the garden cats will, no doubt, claim them for their own naps!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd always encourage anyone to start looking into their family history but be warned that it is addictive!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts