Enjoying My Own Company

frost on cobweb
 

I had a lovely meal and a long chat with J yesterday. I have absolutely no willpower so had a dessert despite my good intentions and I don't regret one bit of it! 

A couple of times a month I'd be busy with the U3A on a Wednesday morning but today isn't one of those days so I will be enjoying my own company at home. This is one of the slots where I can easily deal with some of those tasks that I 'have to do' so will be concentrating on completing my financial checks, start the meal plan and shopping list for the next lot of batch cooking, and wash the inside of at least one of the windows including wiping down the venetian blinds ... all the windows need cleaning inside and I'll arrange for a window cleaner to do the outsides.

I still have to finish looking at my finances but am sure that I'll be able to afford a cleaner for a couple of hours twice a month, which is what I had before and which worked out well. I've cancelled a couple of monthly subscriptions that I rarely used and which I should have stopped month ago and I have also stopped the Simply Cook kits for a while. I have enjoyed all of the meals I had from them but haven't been using them since I bought the Instant Pot so the kits are starting to pile up. They won't be wasted and I will use them over time but for now have cancelled my subscription so that I don't have four new kits turning up every month. Cancelling those three subscriptions gives me £31 a month towards the cost of a cleaner and I know I can afford the balance so the next stage is to arrange for quotes. Ideally I'd like the cleaner to come once a fortnight on a Friday morning which is the same working pattern for M the gardener and it will work well for me if I can have them both here at the same time so that's what I'll be asking for.

The rest of the day is set aside for playing the piano, not practice as that'll be done first thing but to spend some time playing music I like ... my current selection is the music from Les Misérables and Harry Potter so very different from the selection of pieces I'm playing in my lessons! I'll fit in some reading and of course, carry on with my crocheting (progress is slow but good). I don't think there's much on TV tonight so I'll look at doing some more work on my family tree.

Comments

  1. Three cheers - I'm really glad it is affordable for you. It makes such a big difference.

    I'm umming and ahing about Simply Cook too, for the same reasons. I think I will ask if I can defer for a couple of months and then see. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I just need to get the quotes in now and then I can make a decision.

      I'll probably restart Simply Cook later in the year as I have really enjoyed the meals. I won't decide anything until I have used up all the kits I have and then it'll be a case of seeing if I miss having them. xx

      Delete
    2. I've emailed them to ask if I can defer until May. If they are not happy about that, I'll do the same as you - it does say you can always resume at any point. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you can afford to hire a cleaner and window cleaner it'll take a lot of pressure off you. My window cleaner gave up during lockdown with no word from him but thankfully I've found another but more expensive but no matter, the windows need to be cleaned outside. Enjoy your day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I know some of the neighbours have window cleaners come round so I'll ask one of them next time I see them. Doing the insides of the windows is bad enough so the outsides can be done by someone better qualified than me! xx

      Delete
  3. I like your photo of the cobweb with frost. I really need to get outside for a walk with my camera to blow away the frosted cobwebs in my head! What a treat if you can get the cleaner twice a month. Playing the piano for sheer pleasure I am sure will be such a source of joy for you today. Slow progress with the crocheting is at least progress & that's a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I was going to go out for a walk this morning but it was a bit slippery so I walked indoors instead. I'm waiting to sort out prices for the cleaner ... they need to come and see the house before they'll give a price but I think I'll be able to afford it.

      I had my piano session and it made a nice change to be playing some of my favourites. Yes, there is progress with the crochet as the blanket is slowly getting bigger ... I was just expecting it to be quicker, that's all. xx

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an amazing idea. I love that picture - so fragile and delicate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. Fingers crossed it all works out xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely photo of the frosty web! I had to laugh about having dessert when you went out to lunch - that's usually best part of going out to lunch, isn't it?
    I'm glad you found a way to free up some money to fund a cleaner and hope that the quotes won't be too high and it won't be long before you don't have to worry about cleaning and housework. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo. I'm glad you were able to manage to work out how to afford the cleaner. Hopefully it will help

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you enjoy your own company -- some people are simple at loose ends if they are on their own too much. I hope you ended up with a little enjoyment among all those tasks you set forth. And I will forgive you for mentioning blinds, they are on my short list of spring cleaning chores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts