The February Garden

The garden is still looking very drab and the impact of the frosts and snow earlier in the year is obvious. It's still too early to be able to tell which plants have survived and which ones I've lost, but I'm feeling more hopeful about things than I was.



Closer inspection shows new growth throughout the garden and I've captured some of it in these photos. In the first photo (above) the bulbs in the blue pots are almost ready to flower so I will soon have colour from the crocus and daffodils, with the tulips not too far behind them. In the bottom borders the alliums are peeping through the soil and there is new growth on both of the clematis plants growing against the trellis nearer the house. I think all the roses have survived ... there's tiny new leaves on all of them, which is great to see, but there is no sign of life in the potato vine so that may have to be replaced.

The pieris is flowering, much later than usual, and I'll try to get some close up shots during the week. The clematis to the right of it has finished flowering but is looking healthy so it looks like that's another survivor. 


In the photo below you can see the new growth on the Eden rose. It's my favourite so this is lovely to see. Let's hope it remembers it is a climber and actually gains some height this year!


I'm not quite sure what this one is (in the photo below) ... could it be a hyacinth?
 

And finally, the summer snowflakes are making their annual appearance. It'll be a while before they flower but I'm happy to see them back again for another year. The Angel Fishing Rods (to the left of the pink label) are looking strong and healthy and hopefully will flower for the first time this year. 


I plan to contact M to ask her to tidy away the remains of last years annuals. I know she doesn't want to touch any of the perennials yet but there's enough tidying to fill a full session so hopefully she will be able to fit me in. 

Comments

  1. Your garden is looking good considering it's only the end of February with plenty of new growth. There are plenty of daffodils and crocuses appearing near to where I live so yours will flower very soon. I hope M can fit you in for a tidy up, I'm sure she will as she looks after your garden so well xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gradually losing that brown winter look and I can see new green growth, which is cheering. I think I've lost some of the perennials in the pots but it is early days so there is still a chance that they will recover. I think my daffodils will flower later this week or maybe next ... they are nearly there. The crocus are up but the flower heads just need to open out fully.

      I think M may be away as she hasn't responded to my text yet, but hopefully she'll be able to fit me in this side of Easter.xx

      Delete
  2. Yes, that's a hyacinth. Mine look very similar.
    I hope you haven't lost too much over winter. I've lost a lot of my bay but there are some bits that have survived so I will prune off the dead bits and see how it survives. I'd hate to lose it as I do use the leaves for cooking. Also, one of the bamboos is looking a bit brown but I seem to remember it did that last winter too and greened up when the warmer, lighter weather arrived so fingers crossed (for all our plants).
    I do need to cut back last year's clematis growth as the new shoots are beginning to show. Exciting times are beginning!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I thought it was a hyacinth but can't remember planting any in that spot!

      I think some of the perennials in post have died but it's too early for them so they may revive. I won't know about the three fuchsias until June so am keeping my fingers crossed about them.

      Both of my clematis need to be cut back as well and fortunately are sending out plenty of new growth. Hope you can save your bay and bamboo. xx

      Delete
  3. Your pots look very promising. I wish I could say the same for mine. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a lot further south than you though so hopefully yours will catch up. The blue pots of bulbs are all showing shoots, which is much better than last year. I'm trying to wait patiently for them to open now. xx

      Delete
  4. A hyacinth with the wisdom to know it may not yet be warm enough to come out yet! Your garden looks like it is beginning another year of joyful viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not going to waste energy growing taller until it knows that the warm weather has arrived. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes this month ... the garden is gradually waking up! xx

      Delete
  5. That looks like a hyacinth - one of my favourite flowers. Your garden is looking full of promise and even if there are losses, you've made sure that the garden has good bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyssa. I thought it was but just can't remember planting any there.

      Hopefully it's got off lightly and there won't be too many losses. xx

      Delete
  6. Your garden is looking very tidy and even in the first photo I can see things growing! It's lovely to see a lot of things coming up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this time of the year. It's exciting seeing everything start to grow and this year even more so as I'm eager to see which plants survived the shock of the very cold weather. xx

      Delete
  7. Others have identified your plant as a hyacinth, so I won't repeat it! :D
    Looks like your spring bulbs are coming up nicely and there is some other growth, too, except you have to look for it. Your garden is waking up from its winter nap now that spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I doubted myself ... it's obviously a hyacinth even though I didn't plant any in that part of the garden.

      The bulbs are growing well and there is plenty of new growth throughout the garden, though it's still too early for a lot of the plants ... roll on spring and the warmer days! xx

      Delete
  8. All those bursts of new growth are such a pick-me-up, even for those of us only seeing them in the one dimensional form.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts