I Went to the Garden Centre and Didn't Buy Anything!

this rose is having an identity crisis ... it's supposed to be pink!
 

It's a beautiful rose but it's definitely not the pale pink New Dawn rose that I was expecting and it sticks out like a sore thumb amidst all my other plants so I contacted the garden centre about it. This is The Nursery in Hilperton Marsh, just up the road from me, and I can't praise their customer service enough. They didn't ask to see a receipt and asked me to come in and choose a replacement at no extra cost, which I did yesterday morning. The owner of The Nursery helped me select the replacement and, following his advice, I chose Blush Noisette which is very similar to the New Dawn but which he said is a much better flowerer. I can also keep the other rose, which M (my gardener) is going to have. 

I did have a look round while I was waiting for him to finish with another customer and managed to resist the temptation to buy anything else, though this was probably because I didn't have my purse with me rather than any willpower on my part! I will still need some more plants but am waiting until the pergola is finished to decide what to get. So far I've replaced all of the plants lost over the winter and have filled some of the pots usually set aside for annuals with perennials instead. There are still six empty pots but I'm undecided whether to fill them with perennials or annuals.

Blogging problems still continue but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will improve soon. I am able to read blogs but not comment, so at least am keeping up with what you're all up to. However, I was able to comment on Lady Ella's blog a couple of days ago so that's an improvement and I'm hopeful that whatever has changed behind the scenes with her blog will also have a knock on effect to all the other blogs I read. Eileen @ Deja Brew lll kindly pointed out that my blog wasn't updating in her reader list but that seems to have corrected itself already, so it was just last Friday's post that seems to have been affected ... the one with my first SPSH photos.

I'm joining in with Sharon @ My New Uneventful Life and am attempting to declutter 50 items in June. So far I have managed to declutter 1 dinner service I never use, 3 unwanted Christmas decorations, 6 books (but there will be more), a selection of used gift bags, some unwanted stationery items, and a black bag of rubbish from the garage. It's all gone to the charity shop, to friends, or to the recycling yard. Later this week I will make a start on the older cameras and the darkroom equipment - hopefully I can find a buyer now that film cameras are becoming popular again. 

My grocery delivery came yesterday so I have some batch cooking to do this morning (chicken curry, pork in mushroom sauce, and veggie chilli), and then it's the canasta group this afternoon with the possibility of a Zoom chat with L&P to finish off the evening. 

Comments

  1. I think that rose is a beautiful colour but as it is not what you expected it was good of the garden centre to replace it and let you keep it too.
    Blogger is being a right pain, I just found a couple of comments in spam, ones I had previously published. It was just your Friday's post that didn't update but I wanted to let you know in case it was a sign of things to come, thankfully not.
    Enjoy your day today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good of them to let me have a replacement. It's a climber, so would have looked completely out of place in my garden of reds, pinks and purples.

      From some of the messages I've got, it seems that lots of people are having problems with Blogger. It seems to have corrected itself now but many thanks for letting me know what had happened. xx

      Delete
  2. That's a very pretty rose, even if it is the wrong color! I'm glad that the garden center provided good customer service and you were able to pick a replacement rose. Hopefully, that will stay true to color!
    You've made a good start on the decluttering! I, on the other hand, had been acquiring stuff! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got loads of buds on and they all seem to be the pink I am expecting, so it looks promising. The owner of the garden centre (another M!) picked it out for me so I can blame him if it changes colour!

      Yes, I read your blog and have seen your acquisitions but at least it was all things you wanted. xx

      Delete
  3. I am struggling to comment, some days I can, and not others, today is a good day it seems. I had a few plants which when grown was not the colour I expected, but our garden is mixed with colour, so it did not matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like Blogger needs a complete overhaul, doesn't it? Orange isn't a favourite of mine so, even if I had mixed colour planting, I still wouldn't have chosen to have a big orange climbing rose. I'm much happier with my new pink one! xx

      Delete
  4. That really was excellent customer service, wasn't it? Most impressive. It's a lovely rose but I can see how it would just be wrong. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent. I was originally going to leave it and just buy a new rose but M, my gardener, suggested I approach them about the problem. I'm glad I did now! xx

      Delete
  5. Your garden centre knows you to be a savvy gardener with your choice selection, so nice that they gave you excellent customer service. It is a pretty rose & has found a good home with M. Sounds like a lovely flow of activities for the week. I really like your weekly review bridge photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a good reputation locally and I can see why ... it was really good customer service and no hesitation with the offer for a replacement rose.

      I haven't done much more on the decluttering front but I am enjoying my days so far this week. xx

      Delete
  6. A popular scrapbooking company says "melon" is the color of the year, perhaps the rose got wind of that and wanted to be on trend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but it will have to be on trend in M's garden! It's a lovely rose and the colour has grown on me, but it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all my pinks and purples. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts