Family Tree ... Again!

 


When I first started working on my family tree many years ago I was advised to keep a copy of my tree on my laptop so that I didn't lose access to it if I stopped my Ancestry subscription. The recommended software, and the one I eventually went with, was Family Tree Maker. 

I loved it and bought all the updates when necessary, but ... then it was discontinued. I carried on using it but with lack of updates and bug fixes it eventually became obvious I needed to look for an alternative. I settled on Roots Magic, which at the time appeared to do what I wanted, but it was a compromise and I was never entirely happy with it. 

So imagine my delight when I saw that Family Tree Maker has now been taken on by another software company and a 2024 version will be released later this year. Guess who ordered her copy today? I will receive a copy of the 2019 version (which I somehow missed) and then an update to the 2024 version when it becomes available. 

So my plan is to move my tree over to the new software and tidy/check hints, etc. as I go. My tree corrupted when I added Little Man's birth details three years ago and I've never been entirely confidant in it since, so I will take the opportunity to input all the details by hand instead of creating a GEDCOM file. The file will be a speedier option but it may also transfer any errors and corrupt data, so by starting afresh I will know that I have clean data. It will just take ages but it will keep me out of mischief!

I also joined an Ancestry DNA group on Facebook to see if I can pick up any tips for interpreting my own DNA matches, hopefully leading to information about my paternal grandfather's ancestry. I saw a few references to Facebook groups called DNA Angels where members will help you trace your matches and find the missing connections. I haven't done anything about it yet but it will be free and it may just provide enough information to get me started, so I will look into it a bit more once I have transferred my family tree back over to Family Tree Maker. 

I feel quite excited about the possibility of assistance from the DNA Angels, but mostly I'm just over the moon at the return of my favourite genealogy software!

Comments

  1. Interesting Eileen. I have never had any problems with Ancestry and I'm quite happy with it.The DNA Angels sounds good but I'm not on Facebook. I have been working with a DNA match of mine for about eighteen months now and have no idea how we are related although I strongly suspect there has been an illegitimate birth. This week I had a new match and she is descended form my grandfather's brother. It can be really exciting making these discoveries. Keep us updated how you get on with the DNA Angels, wishing you the best of luck xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My closest DNA match, a first cousin, is the result of an illegitimate birth which was interesting to find but she has never responded to my messages sadly. My next closest matches on that particular line are all 4th cousins and I haven't been able to discover exactly how we are related yet. I'm hoping that's what the DNA Angels will be able help me with. I'll let you know how I get on. xx

      Delete
    2. I uploaded my GEDCOM to https://www.myheritage.com and find this site helpful as it shows you who your common ancestors are and it's free to use. There is a tool I paid £35 for called AutoClusters that puts your matches into groups. I use this alongside my Ancestry research and recommend it xx

      Delete
    3. That sounds useful. I'll have a look at My Heritage tomorrow. Thank you for the tip. xx

      Delete
  2. How lovely that you found out they are making a new version! I really need to take a look at my family tree again but I'm not sure I can fall down that rabbit hole again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how happy I am that this new company has produced a new version - best news ever! Go on, have another look at your family tree ... I dare you😀

      Delete
  3. It sounds really exciting that your favorite ancestry/genealogy software is now available again and there's a new updated version! Have fun updating and researching your family tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is good news ... well, it's cheered me up anyway. Thanks Bless xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts