Making Progress

It feels like my mind goes round in circles trying to uncover the real reason(s) why I am finding it so hard to part with items that I know I no longer want. It's something I keep returning to and yesterday was one such day, scrolling through the familiar reasons except ... this time something clicked.

I've read all sorts of advice on how to let go of my attachment to material things including Kondo's 'only keep items that spark joy!' but the words that clicked for me is a phrase from Graham Norton's novel (A Keeper) where one character makes a decision on what to keep from her childhood home based on the realisation that the items are 'familiar, not special or important in any way'. It's simple really isn't it, and is something that is so easy to apply to everything. I can't even say why this particular phrase resonated so strongly with me, I'm just thankful that it did.

That phrase, 'familiar, but not special or important' made all the disjointed bits of thinking tumble into place. Straight away I was able to look at the pile of books with some clarity of purpose. We have a good library in town so I don't need to have any of these books at home, I'm just used to being surrounded by books - it's familiar, but with a few exceptions I can let them go. However, I can't image a home without books and I obviously want to keep my special and important ones, that's a no brainer, so I'll also keep enough novels for a year's reading and the rest can go. All the books I choose to keep must fit in the bookcase. 

There are a number of books that are special to me (school prizes, my Bible & the hymn books), and ones that are important because I use them frequently (cooking & gardening books, local history & genealogy books) or because they support hobbies. That was quick to sort out and they are now in place in the bookcase.

That left me with about 150 books to sort through, mostly novels. The majority of these were received from my sister but some I'd bought myself. I moved them into the living room - it's more comfortable sitting on the carpet! - and spent most of yesterday afternoon sorting through them. 

I've kept 31 books to read and they are back in the bookcase. 42 books will go to Ziffit as soon as I find a box and which will add £37.77 to the coffers, and the rest will go in the book bin at the recycling yard next week. This leaves me with just Ced's books and the music theory books to deal with. They're all going once I get round to placing the adverts. As an added incentive to push on with the decluttering I will save all the money I realise from the sale of items and then use it for treats next year.

It's strange ... all the books are still in the house but because the decisions have been made I can feel the weight lifting from my shoulders. All the books are in one place and I have only kept those I use or will be able to read within a year. I think I've turned a corner and have found the right approach for me. I'll re-sort the clothes during the week and apply the same reasoning.

Comments

  1. Wow - good for you! I have a really hard time letting go of books. Logically I know they are in the library and I can borrow them but can I part with them? Nope. Lol. I am slowly picking out ones I haven't read and sorting through them, reading the ones I want and letting go of the others. It's not as fast as the method you employed, but I'm just not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easier because I didn't choose any of the books that I am getting rid off. My sister buys all the books and passes them on to me so at the back if my mind I am wondering whether this was easy because I know that three or four times a year I will get another 20 - 30 books from her.

      Delete
  2. That's great that you found something that clicked with you and helped you to sort through your books, Eileen. I am still struggling with my books, as you well know, but, I've decided that I will re-read through 12 of my books, this year (one book per month) and let them go. All my books do fit into my book cases, with room for other collectibles, so I think this slower pace will work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just realised that I didn't mention keeping the books I like to read over and over again - it's only a few but they are definitely staying.

      Delete
  3. That's an amazing phrase that one could apply to all sorts of things. I must remember it - familiar but not special or important. Thank you so much.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it. It clarified my thinking and I can see that in so many cases my attachment to a particular item is just because it is familiar. When I go that bit further it's clear that I don't consider it to be special or important to me in any way, it's just something I'm used to having around. Hopefully this will make the rest of the decluttering decisions so much easier.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts