Tuesday

Choir was good fun last night. We celebrated the Chinese New Year (in a very small way!) so everyone had a fortune cookie and our vocal warm ups were in Mandarin. My fortune was very apt and I hope it comes true ... "this is the year you expand your friendship group". We made good progress on three songs: Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World, For Good (from the musical, Wicked), and Hit Me With Your Best Shot/One Way Or Another. 

I've handed over the majority of the band stuff. The digital music files were handed over last night and I met the new treasurer this morning for the financial side. Just the instrument database side of things to go and then I'll be finished. I know the new treasurer and will be seeing her next week to formally sign off on the finances but will also be taking my diary and we'll arrange to meet for coffee or something.

J will be round tomorrow to help move the big sofa (it needs to shift along a few inches) and I want to swap the Davenport and the armchair around. Then we'll work out which size print will work best on the long wall above the  sofa and I'll be able to place the order. 

I'm applying to join the Devizes U3A as they have quite a few groups I'm interested in. I haven't had much luck with the the two local ones I've tried so far so I'm going to try slightly farther afield and see how I get on. Devizes is about 11 miles away so it's not too far and the plus point is that the groups I'm interested in meet on days that fit my current arrangements. I'm considering family history, discussion, mah-jong, and bridge. I'll try them one at a time and see how I get on.

Comments

  1. Your choir gathering sounds enjoyable :) I googled Devizes U3A, and the group trips would certainly tempt me. I don't think we have anything similar here. It'll be interesting to see which groups work for you. All the ones you name sound interesting to me except bridge. Bridge players are so _serious_ ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choir has proved to be an important part of my life in a very short time and I love it!

      Learning to play bridge has been on my list for years but I've never got round to it so I've decided that this is the time to test the waters. I honestly don't know if I will like the game and I also have some reservations about the 'serious' approach to the game. I'm hoping that a U3A group will have a more relaxed attitude than the proper bridge clubs.

      Delete
  2. My parents have got a lot out of being members of the U3A and tailoring their membership to their own interests. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm optimistic that U3A will work out for me even though my experience so far has been a bit of a disaster.

      Delete
  3. The choir sounds like such a fun activity! Good luck with handing off the rest of the band stuff and finding new activities that you'll enjoy doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the choir. M, who runs it, also has a daytime group who learn different songs and I may join that as well.

      I'm hoping that I can find at least one other weekly activity with the U3A.

      Delete
  4. We don't seem to have much of a U3A around here but, given pottery, SW, school governing and general living, maybe I wouldn't have time anyway!
    Choir sounds fantastic and I'm delighted you are getting so much out of it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The U3A seems to be popular in this area. Another possibility is the Bath one, which is huge and has a much bigger choice of groups.

      I'm loving the choir and giving serious consideration to joining the other group M runs on a Thursday morning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts