Saturday


It was band practice as usual this morning. The flowers are a thank you gift from one young boy who has decided to leave - I've been teaching him for the last five years, since he was seven, but since he's moved up to senior school he is struggling to make the commitment the band requires. I'm hoping that, after a break, he will miss it enough to rejoin- his mum hopes that'll happen too.

One of the parents at band had asked if I'd consider providing private music lessons to her daughter. My instinct was to say 'yes' as I like the child, think she will respond well and I sort of miss teaching individual lessons so doing this will be like cherry-picking the best bits of teaching. However, there are a few important factors on the 'no' side - it's a commitment which if I take it on ties me back to school terms although I'm sure they will be flexible if I want to go on holiday during term time, there won't be any travelling as they will come to me but ... do I want to 'work' from home again, and the reason I retired early was on medical advice so will even this tiny amount of teaching introduce stress back into my life. 

There's a lot to consider but I'm giving it some serious thought. I think it'll be a case of wanting to do more than one lesson a week to make setting the time aside be worth my while. I may ask around to see if any of the other parents would be interested and offer blocks of 10 lessons at a time, focusing on a particular issue/technique, rather than entering into an open ended unlimited number of lessons arrangement. Like I say, it needs some thought!

I don't have plans for the rest of the weekend but definitely no sorting of any kind, although thinking about it, I'll need to clear the music room before any home tuition could start ... maybe that'll be the incentive to make me get it finished!

Comments

  1. It's definitely worth a serious think. It keeps on with, presumably, the bit you loved the best - teaching contact with the kids, free from school restraints and school politics and you can make the rules which could include missed weeks for holidays, etc. It's amazing how flexible the parents are happy to be too.
    If you decide which late afternoons you would want to commit, it doesn't need to be all that limiting for other activities.
    Blocks of lessons sounds a really good idea too.
    I feel quite excited for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá Eileen,
    Belas flores! Um gesto bonito do aluno! Pode ser que ele volte. Era bom!
    Sobre o outro aspecto faça o que ditar seu coração;)), sem grande compromisso para poder movimentar-se livremente.
    Abraços e bom fim de semana.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers & hopefully having something so cheerful to look at as you ponder & make a decision about returning to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely bouquet of flowers! I'm sure you'll give the matter of private lessons some serious consideration. I rather like the idea of doing 10 lessons and then, having the option of continuing with them or not, depending on how you feel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts