The Back Garden (3)


... and finally, the part of the garden behind the garage. This area needs the most work - weather permitting, I'd like to get it cleared before spring but it isn't currently the priority.

I placed the order for the carpets and vinyl flooring yesterday. It pays to be cheeky ... I already had a 50% sale price offer (held over from his previous visit even though the sale had ended) and, once he'd measured up and quoted the price I said it was too expensive so he applied his discretionary additional discount and it brought the total price within my budget. I wonder how many people ask for an additional reduction, but I'm so glad I did! Delivery will be in about two weeks to the fitter who will contact me before then to agree the installation date. This means I have to dispose of the existing carpets within the next two weeks so will be phoning my nephew later this week to ask for some help. 

Clearing the dining table is progressing slowly. I've cleared out three boxes and have another one ready to post to a member of my late partner's family, so have dealt with just under half of the stuff that was piled up there. However, I now have to work out the logistics to clear four rooms for the new carpeting which will inevitably mean that the dining room (which doesn't have to be carpeted) will have to be used for short term storage. It feels like three steps forwards and two steps back, but it will only be for a short time and I should be able to get everything back in its proper place by the end of January. This all needs to be done sooner rather than later to make it easier to remove the existing carpets. I need to get my thinking cap on and work out where to put things!

Comments

  1. It does all sound a bit like controlled chaos but just think how lovely it will be when it is all finally done and dusted. It will be fantastic!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're getting things on track! I'm glad you got the additional discount. If you're having a lot done it does pay to ask! The worst that can happen is that they say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of surprised myself, because usually I wouldn't have the nerve to do anything like that.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get a price on the carpets that was within your budget, Eileen. Good for you for asking! A lot of work to clear out rooms for having the old carpets removed and new ones put it! I remember moving everything to the garage when I had my carpets replaced and, later, moving all the furniture to the family room and one of the bathrooms when I had the carpets removed and the hardwood floors refinished! The piano was stored in the kitchen, there were mattresses in the bathtub, and it was quite a mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's turned out to be not quite as bad as I thought but definitely a big upheaval. When you see the photos of the garage you'll see why that wasn't an option for storage!

      At least I can put things away in their proper places once the carpets are down.

      Delete
  4. Great news on the additional discount. I'd never have thought of that. Gosh, it makes you wonder what the mark-up is! Look forward to seeing pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the mark up must be quite considerable as he was able to offer an additional 25% on top of the 50% sale price!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts