The Understairs Cupboard

Yesterday was much more productive, thank goodness. When I made the decision to stay in it was raining and L was happy to cancel our walk as she wasn't feeling 100%, so I set to and turned my mind to sorting out the understairs cupboard.

This is the only part of the house that hasn't had any attention. It's an awkward space because the staircase has two bends (looking down at the stairs from above, imagine it bends to create three sides of a square), so the height at the back of the cupboard is restricted. When I open the door the front part is full height for a depth of about 16 inches and then half height  for the rest, total depth is just under 5 feet.

I've been in this house for seven years now and this cupboard seems to have become a bit of a dumping ground for things I didn't have a proper place for. So the added bonus of having to empty the cupboard for the new electricity meter is that I was presented with the ideal opportunity to sort things out properly and, because of all the decluttering that's been happening in those seven years, I can now find new homes for much of the stuff.

I've been quite ruthless and am just keeping what I know I use. Unwanted coats (too big 😊), scarves, gloves, shoes and bags have been set aside for the next charity doorstep collection and that's cleared up the front part of the cupboard. The ironing board and iron have been moved to the spare bedroom for now and will eventually live on the inside of the airing cupboard door - I like doing the ironing upstairs so I can put things straight in the wardrobe, and it'll be handy for any dressmaking which may or may not be happening in the playroom.

For now the Christmas decorations have been returned to the back of the cupboard but the tree has been moved out to the garage. I think the decs will stay there as the plastic boxes they're stored in fit perfectly at the back of the cupboard below the fuse board. There were a few bags full of books and unwanted ornaments which were probably intended for the charity shop so that's where they'll be going. And then all that's left to fit in is the hoover, airing rack, dustpan, and spare kitchen rolls ... plenty of space, so I've ordered some shoe racks to try to keep it tidy. Sorry, no photos because Blogger is being difficult again! I still have to take things to auction, recycling, and charity shops, but that's the entire house done now.

Today, I was planning to go for a walk with J but she's asked to postpone until next week so I will carry on with the family tree instead. I'm making good progress on transferring the family tree and family have been very prompt at checking and returning their details, well most of them have! If I keep going at this rate I will have all my research transferred to the new software by the weekend and then I can start hunting for new info.

Comments

  1. You're ahead of me but I'd love to get my small under the stairs storage organised somewhat. It's not exactly a tip as such but it isn't great and could be better.
    Once I get the garage sorted out, there will be all sorts of positive knock on effects.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only done because I had to empty the cupboard for the engineers so sorting it all out made sense before putting things back. I am feeling rather smug with myself though ☺️

      Delete
    2. And so you should - good for you!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Yay for getting the cupboard sorted! It sounds like a well organized space, now. Since my house is all one level, I don't have any under the stairs cupboard! I suppose my laundry closet would be the closest equivalent!

    I hope you have a good day and enjoy your work on the family tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I'm determined that it won't become a dumping ground now that it's all tidy and easy to find things. Hmmm, we'll see how long that lasts!

      Delete
  3. Yeah for a tidy up of that cupboard. It made me think of an episode where Chandler discovers Monica's secret messy closet. Right now I would say the messy cupboard I should tackle holds most of my crafting material, but sometimes that is half the fun of tidying it, is discovering something. I'm not keen on new Blogger at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I remember that episode!

    I'm in the strange situation where I have run out of places around the home that need a big tidy up/sorting. For the first time in years, I am completely up to date and organised. It feels a bit strange to be honest ... good, but strange.

    Blogger doesn't like my photos so I may be late with my SPSH post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A space like that would come in handy for Christmas decorations. Hmmm... we have a little space under the stairs, but there's a wall there. I wonder....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck but if there's a wall, will you be able to knock through without the house falling down?

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, it's just a wall that covers the under-stairs area. There must be a bit of space under there, but it can't be much.

      Delete
  6. Well done you on sorting out the under stairs cupboard. Ours is very accessible, too accessible and it was also the house dumping grounds (no the only one, though.) Ours is a very straightforward vertical triangular shape as the front stairs so straight up from the front hall. Hubby sorted ours out early in the pandemic. But you remind me that the last closet to be tackled is the coat closet in the back hall next to the door to the garage. It is a haven for old coats too, but alas I won't be discarding any because they are too large. ☹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every home needs a dumping ground but this house is short on options so I'm resigned to the fact that, as the only available space downstairs, this cupboard will need to be sorted and tidied regularly!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts