Thursday

Yesterday was not a particularly good day. I had a call from Danielle saying she wasn't able to come as promised because she was waiting on the results of a Covid test. It's a valid reason and I do understand, but ... I'm still in the situation where I have plants waiting to be planted and now have to wait for her next visit in two weeks, always assuming the results are negative and she will be able to come. I'm trying to be understanding, and I know that I don't really sound it, but if she had turned up last week as arranged, everything would be planted and this wouldn't be an issue. My neighbour was expecting her last week as well so she is as fed up as me! Anyway, I don't want to wait any longer to get the plants in the ground so will look for some help from friends or see if another gardener can help me out  

I waited in all morning for the parcel, which turned out to be some bulbs I hadn't ordered. I phoned to query why they'd been sent and was told they'd agreed the substitution with my husband?! I pointed out that I lived alone so they couldn't have spoken to 'my husband' and am not married anyway, and that I didn't have any outstanding orders with them, which completely confused them and I ended up holding on for ages while they investigated. The outcome is that it's their error and I can keep the bulbs for free, so more crocus bulbs to fit in somewhere - they're blue, which doesn't really fit in with my colour scheme so may try them in pots to see whether I like them or not.

Then, and the thing that really finished me off, was when I checked my Fitbit to see how many steps I'd done during the morning only to find it had reset itself and wasn't showing anywhere near the full amount - it should have recorded over 4,000 steps but was only showing 95! I may have used the sort of language my mum wouldn't have approved of!

Today will be better I hope. The supermarket delivery is due between 8 am and 9 am and that's all I have arranged for today. It'll be a quiet day, probably some reading and/or listening to music.

It's my auntie's funeral later this morning but restrictions on numbers means that there isn't room for myself or my siblings so it will just be her immediate family in attendance. My cousin has said that, Covid situation permitting, they hope to be able to arrange a big family gathering next year on what would have been her 100th birthday so that we can all be together to remember her then.

Comments

  1. Maybe you’ll find a gardening’’buddy’ who’ll give you a hand in exchange for the bulbs.
    Ooh on the Fitbit front- hope you didn’t get a dodgy one. At least you know you did actually do the steps even if it won’t tell you exactly how many

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the Fitbit for a few years now so if there is a problem it's more likely to be that it's time to get a new one. It's working fine today so far so that's good as I don't want to fork out for a new one if I can help it.

      Delete
  2. That's really too bad that Danielle let you down, last week, after she requested the change in days in the first place. Hopefully, you can find someone else to help you with the planting. As Cathy suggested, maybe you can give them the crocus bulbs, in exchange.

    Hope that today will be better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's now texted to say the test is negative which is wonderful news and announced that she'll be here on Friday afternoon without checking whether that's okay. I'm changing my plans this time because it's in my interest to get the work done so it's fingers crossed that she does turn up on Friday (tomorrow) as promised.

      Delete
  3. How very disappointing. I do hope things stabilise again after all the planning and completed work.
    If you're not interested in the crocuses, I'd be happy to buy them from you. Blue works with my colour scheme.
    Fingers crossed Danielle's test is negative.
    Are they showing the funeral online? I have 'attended' a couple like that and it's been a reasonable second best, helping me to feel part of it in a way. Sending hugs to you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the funeral won't be online. They've followed my auntie's wishes and she didn't like the idea of that. We received a copy of the order of service so I sat quietly when the service started and had my own little remembrance at home.

      I'll email about the rest.

      Delete
  4. Body parts are crossed that Danielle's re-arranged date of tomorrow works out. Your energy of sitting quietly remembering your Aunt will be collected with the rest of the energy & sent heaven's way, it's not the way you wanted to remember but I do hope you find peace with it. Do Fitbits have batteries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I connect my Fitbit to the laptop to charge it. I think the issue may have been that I hadn't synced it for months so the time was completely wrong and it resets automatically at midnight. Now I've corrected the time it seems to be behaving itself.

      Delete
  5. I think looking for help in the meantime makes sense. The world can't stop because your garden helper fails you. It's a pain when you have to spend so long working out somebody else's mistake. I hope the crocus bulbs find a spot that works for you. What a shame about the Fitbit :(

    I'm happy to see your comment that her test was negative and that she'll be able to come and do her work. Hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she turns up as promised tomorrow and I've resolved the crocus bulbs issue - they will be planted in Joy's garden, not mine 🤣🤣

      The Fitbit is working properly today so that's one less thing to worry about!

      Delete
  6. Well, like everyone else I will be interested to hear whether Danielle appears, and if so to see the fruits of her labours! Do you think the test story was true, or just an excuse to rearrange yet again? Maybe I am unduly suspicious, but she does seem to assume that things can simply happen on her terms?
    Glad about the Fitbit, and very glad too that you had an Order of Service to hand, so were able to make space in your day for your own personal memorial of your aunt. Not ideal of course but not nothing by any means, and unquestionably meaningful in its own way. A gathering on her birthday will indeed be fitting. I too shall have belated farewells to attend as and when it is possible to do so, as I am sure many others sadly will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt but honestly, there is doubt there!

      Having the order of service helped, so I was there in spirit at least. I think this is the hardest thing to deal with - not being able to share the ritual of saying goodbye.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear I was feeling a bit sorry for the gardener but I see her test is negative so that’s good. I’m glad you had the order of service to be able to have your own time of reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to mark the day in my own way.

      Delete
  8. Oh I am sorry to hear that the garden dilemma is continuing. Fingers crossed you don't have to wait two whole weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be waiting much longer ... I'm looking for a new gardener!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts